CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

A day at the stables

Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #51
diamondlil
After a night with Coconuts not foaling, I got to meet the newest arrival at the stables. The sire is Gazaro Hiruda, andalusian. The dam is Quiver, dutch warmblood x thoroughbred. The colt is chestnut with a blaze and 1 white sock, and is a very bold little fellow!
Quiver turned out to be a very calm mum, not at all foal proud, and let us handle and inspect the colt without a qualm. I had a lesson in how to check the afterbirth and disposed of it in the woods. Quiver had her feet trimmed while the colt stayed calmly at her side

Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #52
diamondlil
More foal piccies, he's not named yet.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #53
diamondlil
Merlin had new shoes, and the others had hoof trims. Kim had me taking turns with her in catching and handling the horses for the farrier, who was very patient in explaining how he wanted me to hold them, even when I let Angel learn on him. He pointed out the characteristics of the different horses' feet for me, explained the corrective work he does, and how to help them balance on 3 legs, especially the pregnant mares. A great learning experience.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #54
diamondlil
Kittens! One of the tabbies from the first litter was found dead, but these 2 girls, a blue tabby and a tabby and white, are mine! I'll be bringing them home in June, I've named them Bonita and Billie The second litter kittens are a black and white boy and girl

Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #55
diamondlil
After the work, I got to play with Lola, the welsh x andalusian filly born on the 18th last month. She's turned out with her mum, Loulou, and is growing well. She was very interested in my camera

Old 05-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #56
Susielea
Thanks for the new pics and the update on last night Looks like the weather has been good south of the River too, it's been very warm over here, but I'm a bit broken at the moment, so I can't get out in it

It's good to see the horses all enjoying the weather though and don't forget to keep us updated on Coconuts

Now off to bed with you, before you start seeing pixies in the garden or something

Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #57
diamondlil
Bath and bed coming up! Am sunburnt across my shoulders, so I'll have to stem the hallucinations to find the aftersun cream!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #58
Maize411
They all look fantastic! and you guys have such a nice ferrier to be so patient with the horses and teaching you what he does..It must have been a great experience..I wish I worked at a stable or at least lived near one...and I love Lola!! her eyes are soo beautiful

Old 05-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #59
fu1bar3
Who is that silver horse.... i know i know... grey.. but looks silverish...wow..nice

Old 05-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #60
diamondlil
Mike the farrier was incredibly patient. Some of the horses at the stables have had a few homes and have 'issues', so he is quite firm but also very calm around them. He likes to build up his relationship with them so was very patient with any nervousness. In one picture you can see last year's foal has her head on her dam's rump while he's trimming the dam's feet.
Obviously because there are 13 horses at the stables (don't think I've missed any out in my count), it's a major undertaking when he visits, even if Merlin is the only set of shoes at the moment. Having an extra helper (me!) made the process go smoother, for example the stallion currently turned out with a mare was held by Kim while I held the mare near to keep him calmer. (Rudi wont let her out of his sight and Barbie doesn't like being tied up), then I held the mare while her feet were trimmed while Kim was holding the stallion.
Without help there's a lot of moving horses around and temporary stabling which spooks and upsets everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google