CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #21
Nanci
You mean "yard?" It's five acres. I love it. I went for land, not house. I'm off for a week, and even have the next Monday off, but will probably not take it off.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #22
Snake Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
You mean "yard?" It's five acres. I love it. I went for land, not house. I'm off for a week, and even have the next Monday off, but will probably not take it off.
Yard, garden, same difference. Oh and nice, my Aunt has 20 acres of land at her chateaux, I love going, I can explore for hours, plus I sneak into other people's land, lol.

Sounds nice, will it take you the full week to finish it?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #23
Nanci
It will take weeks to finish. I'll be lucky to have the whole "box" done in a week. Then there's the irrigation, the pond and fountain, the log pile, the hibernaculum/rain shelter, the strawberry terrace, all the planting...The patio, the lighting, the furniture :-)

Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #24
Nanci
Status as of Sunday, 9:30 AM: The first row is in. I have to go to the store to get drip irrigation hose- I want to bury it while the ground next to the first row is open.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #25
Corny Noob
Oh whatever that thing was it made me all itchy!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #26
ghosthousecorns
Cool project Nanci! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
I think that thing was a grub that would be bad for turf, like a sod worm of some kind. Its head kind of reminds me of the "Potato bugs" or Jerusalem crickets but the body is all grub. I love that where others see a pest you see an opportunity to feed one of your critters LOL

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Sweet baby Jesus, what is this?
Haha, caught me off guard!
That's a beetle larva. Don't know what kind. It's maybe a japanese beetle or a june bug beetle.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #28
Nanci
I wonder if it was a baby muskmare! Probably not, I bet they build an egg case like mantids. Need to find out. Otherwise, I've seen some gigantic black beetles, too. Good thing I decided to go to the store- there's a big thunderstorm brewing, and I can't find my drill bits for the 12" nails- how can you lose big things like that??? Oooh, I rescued a spider and egg case and put her in Fort Tort. You know, that's what's going to be so cool about having the turtles out there- they are so interactive with humans- they love their treats and think every time I peek in they are going to get treats! The torts vanish for months at a time- the boxies are always out, always alert.

So Jen, I'm making them a sort of pebble fountain, but with about a two inch deep water level. How deep would you make the reservoir? A foot? 18"? Two feet? I'm thinking 4x4. I'll run irrigation to it to help keep it topped off.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #29
Nanci
New Acquisition!

Is there anything better than a new power tool? This is going to be SO much better than last year...

Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #30
Nanci
It even comes with a purse!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google