• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

WOW! Now I may be forced to follow your lead and build one for my sisters little box turtle. You do fantastic work! Thanks for sharing the pics and progress!

All that empty space was taunting me...I filled it in with some annuals till the strawberry babies arrive!

Attachments

• Day Nine 011.jpg
    Day Nine 011.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 287
Isabel just can't stand to be out in the open!

Attachments

• Day Nine 010cr800.jpg
    Day Nine 010cr800.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 286
I figured out what to do with the extra pond liner!!! I can build an above ground water garden out of 4x4s that will match everything else! I can either do 5x5 two feet deep or 4x4 two and a half feet deep.

Where in Gods name, do you find all of this ENERGY, Nanci? You are one amazing woman and I envy all that you are able to do. I so look forward to all of the posts on this link. I can hardly wait to see what you have done each day. Goodness !!!!

Wade, I have to wait till it's warm and I have a nice stretch of time for the next step, putting the underlayment and liner in the pond. The liner has to warm up in the sun to get flexible enough to lay in there. I'm hoping Saturday or Sunday. We're getting down to 34F tonight, and up to 80F tomorrow!

You simply ROCK!!! I wish I had a yard I could do stuff in. Do you plan to lay more stone in between fort tort and the boxie paradise? Ever thought about putting a gazebo with a table in it at the end of the stone walk way? All your pretty green things makes me want to sit outdoors and have lunch with a nice pitcher of lemonade. Awesome idea for the extra liner BTW. I can't wait to see everything completed. I love your little slave driver. Makes me want a beardie.

Day Ten: Lining The Pond

Thanks Kim! Yes, I do plan to extend the patio all the way over to the boxie pen, but those stones are $5 each, so I'm going to have to wait. A gazebo is planned for the east side of Fort Tort, but I really want a tornado shelter first...

Ok, here we go into scary uncharted territory. I am learning how to do this from the Internet!!

First, the underlayment which protects the pond liner. You REALLY don't want to track down a leak.

Attachments

• Day Ten 001.jpg
    Day Ten 001.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 202
Here's another view. You can see the grids which will form the shallow surface to bring the water level up to turtle wading depth. These grids will hold 400# of stone and still be strong enough for a person to walk on. I am envisioning stepping stones!

Attachments

• Day Ten 002.jpg
    Day Ten 002.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 199
And here is the rubber liner, "warming" in the "sun." I'm supposed to let it warm up for an hour so it is more pliable. It's pretty overcast, and only 67F out right now...

Attachments

• Day Ten 003.jpg
    Day Ten 003.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 199
Only 67F... pfft. I wish it was that here :grin01:

It's looking lovely Nanci, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Grrr. The liner is just a little too small (so much for pond liner calculators, oh well, I'll know for the next one) so I had to rearrange all the stones.

Attachments

• Day Ten 004.jpg
    Day Ten 004.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 196
And now I have to come up with some other sort of heavy pavers to cap off the bricks with the liner trapped underneath. And figure out what I am going to fill in the low side of the ground with. And have it all turn out so the turtles can get in and out without a ladder. And buy the concrete blocks that support the grates.

Attachments

• Day Ten 005.jpg
    Day Ten 005.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 198
Wow, Nanci. That's looking fabulous.This thread makes me think about making bigger and better enclosures for my guys.

They are the luckiest torts!!

Wow this just keep looking better and better. I love watching this thread. those are some spoiled turtles.:)

I don't know...I'm really disappointed with the pond at the moment. It's like it's going to be all pond and no pen. I should have gone 4x2...The next layer of pavers, which I am still figuring out placement of, they're so big. Pretty, but big.

Back