• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

Nanci, that looks very cool... I'm sure they'll be happy when it's finished.
It's amazing how little time it took you to make it, I would have taken a year... lol

Nanci,
it looks fabulous. I am really impressed. What is the web site you have been studying pond construction at?

Day Thirteen: Stones In The Pond!!

I'm so excited- it's finally looking nice! Of course, now I need more hardware cloth, more flagstone, something- not sure what- to go at the edge that has the too big gap (since the hole got a little bigger than four feet square). Still- this is the basic idea and I like it!!

Attachments

• Day Thirteen 001.jpg
    Day Thirteen 001.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 205
There just isn't going to be anywhere to walk around in the enclosure except for pond-side, so I got these cute stepping stones to get me over to it!

Attachments

• Day Thirteen 002.jpg
    Day Thirteen 002.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 208
Another view of the pond. It's safe to walk on the big stepping stones in there.

Attachments

• Day Thirteen 003.jpg
    Day Thirteen 003.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 204
That looks fantastic, now we need some tadpoles and some tiny fish in there. ;)
Nanci, if I ever get a pond, i am hiring you as the construction manager. ;)

Ok, this is taken with me standing on the heat pump/AC outside my house: (Fort Tort is in the distance)

Attachments

• Day Thirteen 004.jpg
    Day Thirteen 004.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 209
Dang Nanci, you really do nice work.. I am very impressed. Next year, are you going to do a 4th as a Bearded Dragon outdoor enclosure? lol
Just imagine how Redish Orange your boy will get outside with all that good sun. :D

Actually, Isabel lived outside for six months of her life with her previous owner, who allowed her to escape. They said she was just brilliant, and were calling her "Solar."

Actually, Isabel lived outside for six months of her life with her previous owner, who allowed her to escape. They said she was just brilliant, and were calling her "Solar."

IS that a hint for a Bearded dragon setup in the future?
lol maybe you should put this all in paper and then sell them online as outdoor enclosure designs. sell the pdfs to people who need ideas. :D

When I say you do nice, i really mean it. I am curious how you would design an out door cage for Isabel. A woman I know got these 7 foot glass windows and used them for her bearded setup here in MN. But I think your setup would be a lot nicer.

:eek:

Wow... Just wow...

That's amazing Nanci, it looks absolutely fabulous. I'm proud of ya (and I'm sure the turtles are too! :D)

Fantastic progression! I made a comment in the beginning about how this was a good relatively easy way to do it. Wow, I apologise for that!
Once I saw your planning and attention to detail in this construction I realized that this was not just a quick DIY enclosure. After that I figured I'd better reserve my comments for the finish.
OK, here's my comments: I like you, you can build stuff!

Thanks you guys! I know you thought I was crazy when I dug that big hole...The pond _did_ get a little out of proportion- or maybe I should have built another 16x16 pen instead of 12x12, but it's just two little box turtles! Still lots to do. Tons of planting. Finish the pond substrate. I was really happy to find the Mexican Beach Stones- they are perfect- all different colors- none too small- clean. I wonder if the pump is ever going to arrive- I can't wait to have the fountain going!

Seriously, I don't think I'd keep Isabel outside. Too hard to hand-feed selected silkworms to her, and she's used to sleeping tucked under her blankie! I interact with her constantly- I'd miss that too much. If anything, I might like a group of Russian tortoises- something small that hibernates and grazes.

I can't come up with a cool name. The Money Pit.

I put in more rocks today. Still need a few more. Saturday will be a major planting day. See the grassy things over on the left? That's a bunch of white and yellow irises. They should look nice. That whole side is amazingly cool and shady at 5PM. The water depth on the stepping stones with the pond nicely full is ankle deep on me.

Attachments

• Day Fourteen 002.jpg
    Day Fourteen 002.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 195
Back