CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Calls to boycott Arizona are spreading like a virus

Old 04-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #31
Buzzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpccusa View Post
Off topic, I know, but I don't think that is true everywhere in the country.
As the example of my friend who claimed he was profiled, I have many other friends with different stories of why they "unjustly" got in trouble with the police. From racial profiling to false incrimination.

I live in a relatively safe area, and work in the safest city in the US (Irvine). Policemen here have nothing to do therefore I am much more nervous when driving in this neighborhood than I am when driving in big cities where cops have "bigger fish to fry." And yet, I have no reason to feel that way because I am not breaking any laws. It is just that tension/anticipation of being ambushed by cops for any (stupid?) reason.

Mistakes happen and sometimes emotions get so overwhelming. I can see false incrimination and that is what the judical system is for. Thats why usually 12 jury members have to agree.
(off topic) I did find it easier to drive in the big city over the ural area. Police around here have nothing better to do, So I too am always looking for the "Ambush"(speeding ticket). So its not as crazy as you think.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #32
wade
Quote:
Off topic, I know, but I don't think that is true everywhere in the country.
As the example of my friend who claimed he was profiled, I have many other friends with different stories of why they "unjustly" got in trouble with the police. From racial profiling to false incrimination.

I live in a relatively safe area, and work in the safest city in the US (Irvine). Policemen here have nothing to do therefore I am much more nervous when driving in this neighborhood than I am when driving in big cities where cops have "bigger fish to fry." And yet, I have no reason to feel that way because I am not breaking any laws. It is just that tension/anticipation of being ambushed by cops for any (stupid?) reason.
I think your fears are unfounded. Do you really think the police are out to get you? I mean really, they are bored so they arrest you and your friends just for something to do to help past the time? That is what you are saying, I find it hard to believe.

You think you will be “ambushed by cops for any stupid reason?” I interpret that to mean you might get pulled over for breaking a law that you didn’t think was important. Do you think we should all be allowed to decided which laws are “stupid” and only obey the ones we like?

I am very involved in the drug scene. Not as a user but the father of a user. I have heard ten thousand stories about how the cops did this and the cops did that. I have never heard a story that didn’t boil down to, ‘you broke the law and they caught you”.

I will say again, loudly and with confidence, the only people that need fear the police are the people who are breaking the law. I have never been pulled over by a cop without just cause. I am sure there are bad cops out there but they are a tiny minority and the system is doing everything it can to identify and get rid of them. The last thing they want is headlines about a cop that has over stepped his bounds.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #33
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I think you are all overreacting and assuming the worst. Pres. Obama was concerned about profiling and the Governor stated very firmly that there would be no profiling. She know the eyes of the nation are on her and chomping at the bit waiting for the first infraction they can complain about. AZ sheriffs deputies are being lectured right no and being told they had better not stop someone unless they have a damn good reason. They are not stupid. You people are already convicting them and they haven’t done anything yet.

I think Betsy made a good point. This has brought national attention to the fact that at least the AZ citizens are fed up with the way the federal government is handling or not handling the problem. Even if this law is changed or done away with next month, it is putting Federal Gov in a position where it had better do something.

People who are afraid of going to AZ because they have a good suntan are being reactionary and foolish. When my kids were 8 years old I told them the only people who need to fear the police are the people who are breaking the law. It was true then and it is still true now.
I like your thinking...

Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #34
Buzzard
Quote:
Unfortunately that's the problem. The best the new law will do as far as illegal immigration is make people (illegals as well) move to other states. People crossing the board face much more dangerous threats WHILE crossing the boarder. They won't be scared of cops nicely asking for documents.

As for becoming a citizen, perhaps you don't understand much how the immigration system works, but once you are here illegally, the chances of you becoming legal (not to mention becoming a citizen) are close to zero. The "right thing" in this case would be to return to their countries, which for many is simply not an option.

In the past 5 years I know of 4 people who has immigrated to this country legally. They did tell me it was a long and lengthy process. 1 is a friend from Pasco county FL( I mentioned earlier, poker playing buddy(oh wait thats illegal) he is originally from Canada. The couple I mentioned earlier did it together(last fall). We met them when we moved to AL. They are our closest friends here. So we have heard horror stories. Our friend Victor (he is from Iran) was sworn in this spring. Its kinda funny he is from Iran but owns a chinese resturant( the best spring rolls ever). So, yes it is tough, but until it changes it is what we have. I am not arguing against change. There are so many things in my opinion needing changed. Just it's the law right now...

Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #35
Outcast
1) Welcome to America, we aren't always politically correct, but we know how to turn heads.

2) I would like to see all of those illegals come over to New Mexico.

My future father-in-law, just got back from 6 months in Nogalas... It is a whole other world down there, and I am sure that if the Illegals came over here they wouldn't make it past the first checkpoint. Every car is stopped at the checkpoints out here, even Government vehicles. You are asked if you a US citizen and if they have reason to suspect that you aren't, they check your papers.

I think the boarder patrol does a good job out here. I am not saying that they catch all Illegals, but they do catch a lot of them.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #36
jpccusa
Quote:
I think your fears are unfounded. Do you really think the police are out to get you? I mean really, they are bored so they arrest you and your friends just for something to do to help past the time? That is what you are saying, I find it hard to believe.
I believe in traffic stops quotas, California being bankrupt, demonstration of productivity, etc.

Quote:
You think you will be “ambushed by cops for any stupid reason?” I interpret that to mean you might get pulled over for breaking a law that you didn’t think was important. Do you think we should all be allowed to decided which laws are “stupid” and only obey the ones we like?
All I am saying is that idle policemen are much more strict when applying the law. Cops in big cities go after bad guys, not after an old lady who was barely going under the minimum speed limit on the freeway.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #37
susang
Quote:
I am very involved in the drug scene. Not as a user but the father of a user. I have heard ten thousand stories about how the cops did this and the cops did that. I have never heard a story that didn’t boil down to, ‘you broke the law and they caught you”.

I will say again, loudly and with confidence, the only people that need fear the police are the people who are breaking the law. I have never been pulled over by a cop without just cause. I am sure there are bad cops out there but they are a tiny minority and the system is doing everything it can to identify and get rid of them. The last thing they want is headlines about a cop that has over stepped his bounds.
I don't think the police wait to ambush, sometimes I see things and wish they did. I was in a situation where the police backed me into a corner with a group of people and it scared me so much. The story is long but did nothing wrong, not in wrong place... It was just the utter fear that we may have been mistaken for the criminal.
I guess what it boils down to for me is fear of what could happen.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #38
CWall
This law is two things....GOOD and OVERDUE!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #39
CWall
Quote:

Wade speaks the truth...what he said!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #40
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoxCorn View Post
I always thought immigration was under the federal jusistiction.
Maybe if the government enforced their laws the states wouldn't have to come up with their own?

We are talking about illegal immigration here right? You know, I'm really tired of having to pay for stuff in the store and on the internet. You'll look the other way for me right? Don't hear any of you all gettin' riled up about the cameras that have invaded your everyday lives. How about that insolent teenager behind the counter that asks for you ID when paying for your groceries with a credit card??!! Profiling I tell ya. The nerve.

D80

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google