CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Fat deposits?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
reptilisss
Fat deposits?

Hey all,
I've had my corn snake since November and she's about three years old now. About two weeks ago I was handling her and I noticed these lumps on her left side (photos attached). There are two or three of them and the lowest one is at the same level as her vent. They haven't grown at all in this time - all remaining the length of one or two of her scales. They feel squishy and do not seem to cause discomfort if I press on them.
She seems fine otherwise! She eats just as enthusiastically as she always has, and her behavior is unchanged.
Could these be fat deposits? When I got her she was underweight due to underfeeding, so since I got her she's been "chubbing up" to a healthier 300 grams and 3.25 feet.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
reptilisss
I should add: she has been defecating! I gave her another bath just in case these were signs of constipation

Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
jagodzinski
Not being at all an expert - I might recommend a call to your vet. I know my vet will let me talk to someone on the phone for free so that I can get an expert opinion without stressing out snakey by taking her to vet unless it is necessary.

But, its possible its from constipation and may go away.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Ravenessa
I'd take her too. fat deposits turns into hips more than anything..
Just to be on the safe side, snakes rarely shows symptoms until its too late..

Old 08-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
reptilisss
Hello all! Thank you for your responses, and thank you for pushing me to get a vet appointment. I was semi on the fence about it. She has an appointment at a reputable exotics vet this afternoon at 3:30. I'll post an update when we get home from the vet tonight.
I'm hoping it's something that can be handled easily without stressing her out.
I got her from a friend who was somewhat neglectful, I just hope she's not sick.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Ravenessa
I am keeping fingers crossed for you <3 And thank you for being a good snakey parent!

Old 08-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Vet is probably a good idea. They look more like abscesses than fat deposits. Has she ahd any recent injuries? Do you feed live prey?

Old 08-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
reptilisss
Thank you for the kind wishes!

I don't think she's had any injuries recently, everything in her tub is soft and round edged, but she has taken to climbing the walls so she may have scraped herself when she (inevitably) falls. I do not feed live, and to my knowledge her previous owner did not feed live either.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
reptilisss
We are back from our adventure to Stahl exotics! We saw Dr. Sommer who gave Althea a very thorough examination and has suggested it's several scales that have popped out of place when Althea flexes her muscles in a certain way - possibly from a minor injury or problems shedding. They palpated the area and felt nothing abnormal. Dr. Sommer also performed a general check up and exam and determined Althea is in good health.
I am so glad I took her to the vet,it's a huge relief. I will be watching her and keeping track of these bumps/injuries for good measure. I hope they will go away with the next shed.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
jagodzinski
Good! I'm glad that you got the clean bill of health - I too think you did the right thing.

Hopefully snakey will be all healed soon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
lumps