CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

starting mice colony

Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
4riscorn
starting mice colony

We got our 1 male 4 female group today. Right now we have them in a 20 gallon tank with water bottle, rodent food and aspen. I did some research a few months back but then decided to wait to do the breeding afterall. But Mike decided today to get it started. So since there are so many conflicting internet sites, I thought I'd ask here to see what to do and not to do. I read one place that the temps need to be 65-70 and above 70 will kill them. Then another said 76-86. The pet store said the colder the better. So someone please provide me with the correct info. And I have also read about removing the male from the females as soon as you see the females prego and how to remove the mother and babies as soon as she delivers. I want to do this right so all the info I can get the better. Here is a pic of the group. The black on is the male Hermie. The females are Chloe, Darla, Geraldine and Lulu. Yea I named them. We are also thinking of doing rats since I have heard they are easier and smell less. Any info on that too would be great. Thanks!
Excuse the mess in the box..the drive from the pet store to the house takes a half hour and we made a few stops on the way.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
taxman123
I leave the male with the females always. Once they get going all you have to do is feed them. Sometimes they will eat some of the first litter or all of them if there first time mothers. I dont know the exact temps your supposed to keep them at but when its to hot my colony doesnt breed the guy I get my mice from keeps his in a room where the temp is at 76 always and his breed like crazy. Good Luck.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
cornsnakeforsale_com
Looks like you've got it all set up nice. On the temps they say that over 80 (I think) they have fertility issues. I've got mine in my snake room that is regularly 80-85 all the time and they're breeding great. But yes, cooler is better typically. I'm probably riding pretty close.

Look up some threads here on starting colonies, there are many. The one thing I usually say is don't expect much out of your parents you've picked out. Instead, grow up their babies to start the actual colony. This way they've grown up together since birth and have no issues among them. Typically if you throw a bunch of mice together and say "OK guys, go for it" they end up fighting, eating each others babies, etc.

Ditto on leaving them together.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
pheonix
You don't need to seperate them from eachother ever. (unless you need to seperate them for some reason) Constantly re-introducing them to eachother will stress them out. Above 70 won't kill them at all! I think above 80 and they will slow their production down, but that's it. Same thing with below 60. (how would there be any mice in the wild if they died so easily? Lol) Rats don't smell that much less than mice. They are both pretty bad. Lol

One of the things I see the most with new feeder breeders is they quit/panick or feed off the current breeders and start over when the mice eat their own pups. New moms like to eat their first or even second litters! It's cause they are nervous and don't know what they are doing yet. I'd give them at least 3 litters before giving up on those particular mice. Just a heads up.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Floof
I had problems with production and cannibalism in my colony over the summer, when my house was sitting at a constant 80-85 (up to 90 some days). They definitely do better at lower temps, but, IME, temps up to 90 won't kill the mice themselves--just mess with production.

Another vote for leaving the colony intact at all times. From my understanding, it causes more problems than not to constantly move them around.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Fatman608
You made me break out my Mice and Rat books again. OK, to answer your questions the best temp to keep mice and rats at for breeding is between 65 - 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

I breed my mice in my garage and I can tell you that when the temp goes higher than 80`F breeding just about stops. I still get litters but only 4 or 5 babies at a time. As far as too cold, I live in south Texas so it has never been cold enough to stop the mice from breeding.

Like everyone has said just leave the male in with the females all the time and do not worry if the first litter from each mother gets eaten mice just do that.

I would love to breed rats but none of my snakes are large enough to eat an adult rat and at some point you will have to retire the old breeders and raise up new breeds.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
4riscorn
Another question.. We have noticed the mice are scratching like crazy. Should we treat them for mites just in case? The pet store isn't the cleanest. And if so how do I do that? We had them in our out building but it got to 39 ° last night and is only 49 now so we brought them inside but they are in the snake room and it has me concerned. Thanks for all the inf!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Buzzard
65-75 is a great temp for housing your rodents, but they can live in much colder climates and much warmer climates. The 65-75 degree range, tends to be best for breeding. I have mice, rats, and Asf's and would also suggest leaving the males and females together always for breeding for feeders. I wouldn't worry about mites until you see signs of them, I would make sure that your bedding is low in dust (could be a reason for so much scratching). Let them adjust to the new home. As far as your concern about cold weather.... I do not even turn on the heat until the temps reach 32 degrees or lower in the mouse house. As long as they have a thick layer of bedding and maybe a little hide, and are out of a draft filled area, they should be fine at 39-40 degrees.

Oh and congratz on your mouse colony. They can be so much fun.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
4riscorn
I have a few paper towel empty rolls in there now and a few inches of Aspen. Is that good?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
ghosthousecorns
Yes they love to hide in and chew on them!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google