CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Is this fuzzy too big?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Jammin124
Is this fuzzy too big?

So, its been a while since ive posted but thats because my Bianca has been doing tremendously well. Ive run into a snag though. I do not have a scale first of all to weigh Bianca. I believe she is about 11 months old, if not a year. She has been eating very large pinks/ small fuzzies for the past 2 feedings. One was live, the other was frozen and she had no problem gulping them down. Well, its been 2 weeks since ive been to the pet store so the mice have grown a bit. Is this guy too large for my snake? This mouse is also the first to have claws, should I put him down before feeding as well? Please lend me your insight!

The last pic is of her widest section.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Jammin124
I misspoke a bit and cant find the edit button... Shes been eating 2 larger pinks for a while now, the last 2 feedings have been fuzzies smaller than this guy.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
chad27
I dont think there will be a problem.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
chad27
Nice amel by the way

Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
tom e
I think she can take that no problem.

Whether to put the mouse down or not first is really your choice. You can easily kill it more humanely than the snake will, but I don't think the mouse at that age is any threat to the snake.

My favorite way to judge size is that the mouse should be 1.5X wider than snake at the snake's thickest part.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
theneedmachine
Looks to me like that fuzzie is not too big. A corn snake can typically eat a mouse that is 1 and 1/2 times the widest part of their body.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Jammin124
thanks everyone. Yeah tom e... thats the way Ive done it so far, but I guess ive stayed in my comfort zone by going 1.25x ish and lower until now.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Jammin124
well, we tried live and it was a failure... she didnt constrict and got freaked out when her meal was trying to run away while being eaten alive. She gave up and the poor traumatized fuzzie was put out of its misery before attempt 2, which went just fine. It was cool to see the snakes scales stretch as much as they did.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google