CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

king snake influence in tessera morph?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #161
Nanci
Just magged, not sharpened with my pre-set.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #162
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
Dave, is that a single anal plate I am seeing on that snake?

Also, do all the Tesseras everyone has have divided anal plates?.....typical of all cornsnakes?...........I am betting they do.

~Doug
When dealing with snakes, is a divided anal plate the result of dominant or recessive genes? What I'm trying to ask is this, "If one crossed a King to a Corn and will we get all single anal plates? If so, do we get divided anal plates typical of a corn by breeding these F1 siblings to each other or to a corn?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #163
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Perhaps you are considering the tesseras with the broken up pattern/incomplete stripe down the back as 100% tessera? They look intermediate to me. I think Joe's price is right considering the quality.
Personally I would have sent them to Korea with the rest of the scrap from asst'd projects. Keep the price stronger in this country. I know, too much work. Let's crash the market on ourselves and then point the finger elsewhere.

Remember back when the first tess were available?
no hets listed. hefty price.
BHB tess, no hets listed, hundred bucks.
All these other breeders listing tess with hets, a little more money. not much more money. Are we crashing the market on ourselves by getting ten bucks more for each p/het listed?
I'm quite certain that Don S proved that even the ones with the broken stripe still produce Tessera clutches in the same manner as full stripe Tessera's, which would indicate that they *are* Tessera's.

Quote:
I respect you a great deal too Mitch. But how on earth could 50% textbook corns be produced and 50%Tesseras be made and NEVER any intermediates in all these countless breedings everyone has done over the past several years?

~Doug
This is one reason why I believe that Tessera's are not hybrids.

Edit to add: IMO, the reason Tessera's have come down in price so quickly is because they're so readily produced, population numbers exploded, & there's so many on the market.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #164
DMong
To Walter and Nanci, the divided anal plate is of course a good thing to see, but it really doesn't prove all that much just in itself. If they had SINGLE anal plates, then then that obviously wouldn't be a good sign. As I told Carpe in a PM, I would expect to see divided anal plates since the more corns they are ever bred to (IF they were hybrids) would only become more and more prevelent anyway. But you DEFINITELY wouldn't want to see single plates that are a meristic scalation feature of common getula. That said, there can be corns and ratsnakes that once in a VERY GREAT WHILE that can display a fused single anal plate. Other scalation on individual snakes can sometimes be atypical too, like fused postocular scales behind the eye, and divided frontal scales in many Hondurans, etc...

To Carpe: I don't know anyone that breeds crosses for anal plate results, so I couldn't tell you. All I know is that those meristic features are a distinct makeup of both their natural morphology for countless millenia.

~Doug

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #165
DragonsDenSerpents
Quote:
Dave, is that a single anal plate I am seeing on that snake?

Also, do all the Tesseras everyone has have divided anal plates?.....typical of all cornsnakes?...........I am betting they do.

~Doug
Stella (Okeetee tessera from Graham Criglow's Halloween Okeetee male x original tessera female) has divided anal plates. I can get a photo up if really necessary, but assuming it's not.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #166
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsDenSerpents View Post
Stella (Okeetee tessera from Graham Criglow's Halloween Okeetee male x original tessera female) has divided anal plates. I can get a photo up if really necessary, but assuming it's not.
I have a pair of those, they have divided anal plates.
As does the original female.

Whether the f1 stripe California king X corn has single or divided isn't really important at the moment, it is still only 50/50.
later this year when bred to corn, to produce 25/75 corns, it will be interesting to see if the babies
1. being 75% corn, have divided anal plates
2. 50% of the clutch is striped. ***
Beyond that, if the stripe proves out,
we will then need to raise up the stripes and see if the stripe is 50% heritable again.

*** which will not necessarily prove anything either if 50% are striped, as half of the parents are striped. More importantly, will they look identical to classic Tessera?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #167
Walter Smith
Quote:
To Walter and Nanci, the divided anal plate is of course a good thing to see, but it really doesn't prove all that much just in itself.
Agreed. As mentioned, It really does not make a difference to me either way. I like them, so I have them.

I was pretty much just giving info that you asked for, does anyone have a Tessera with a single plate...........the 14 I have do not

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #168
Chip
Just checked. My 11 also do not.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #169
dave partington
50/50 Honduran Milk/Corn : Entire
50/50 Pueblan Milk/Corn: Entire
50/50 Cal King/Corn: Entire
25/75 Sinaloan Milk/Corn: Split

Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #170
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
50/50 Honduran Milk/Corn : Entire
50/50 Pueblan Milk/Corn: Entire
50/50 Cal King/Corn: Entire
25/75 Sinaloan Milk/Corn: Split
Seems it doesn't take many generations to see the split anal scale in a king/milk to corn hybrid.

Anyone else have 25% or so king/milk X corns?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google