CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Constricting Dead Prey

Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
666killademon
Talking Constricting Dead Prey

i want to know if my snake will constrict prekilled prey cuz killing their prey to me is a very exciting aspect of their life but i don't want to use live mice and compromise my snakes health or appearance and if anything will they know to constrict a live mouse if they have been feeding on prekilled so i can at least see it subdue its prey once every now and then

Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Lennycorn
All I can say is that some snake do and some don't and that is one long sentence.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Tula_Montage
Very sensible - IMO live prey is a bad idea as soon as its big enough to injure the snake.

All of my snakes get so overexcited about food that constricting is only part of the feeding process. Theres usually blood and guts at the end of it all... looks like a murder scene half the time.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
666killademon
do u use feeding tongs or they just do it on their own. Also what about anole lizards do u think that they can be constricted without problems; for the smaller snakes of course

Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Fenderplayer108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666killademon
do u use feeding tongs or they just do it on their own. Also what about anole lizards do u think that they can be constricted without problems; for the smaller snakes of course
Don't feed anole lizards unless you have a picky snake. If they accept a lizard, they probably will never switch back to rodents.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Tula_Montage
Yes I use forceps to help kick in the feeding responce and I would forget the anole idea altogether. Corns will readily take mice with no problems. Once feeding on anoles he may not switch back.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Fenderplayer108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
Yes I use forceps to help kick in the feeding responce and I would forget the anole idea altogether. Corns will readily take mice with no problems. Once feeding on anoles he may not switch back.
mmm. beat you to it.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
666killademon
thanks i would've made a big mistake wit the lizard

Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
666killademon
what about live chicks have any of u tried it and if u did can they even cause serious injury to the snake

Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
Tula_Montage
We are here to help and make sure novice owners DON'T make these mistakes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google