CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

What all can you feed your cornsnake?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
MinLynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post
Don't get all hung up on inbreeding feeder rodents. Your not keeping them for pets or shows. Sadly for them, their sole purpose in life is to become food. So any genetic defects or problems will just turn into poo, in the end.

Wayne
That was exactly what I was going to say! You're feeding them off so it really shouldn't matter what they "look" like or if there is a deformity. If there does turn out to be a major deformity and obviously you don't want them to suffer,then kill 'em off as pinkies and don't breed that one anymore.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
vetusvates
Brothers & sisters, sons & mothers, fathers & daughters,....always worked just fine for me. When I was breeding and raising feeder mice. If a female gives birth, to a live mouse, that a snake will eat,....what's the problem?
It will take many generations of serious in-breeding and time for problems to occur.
A lot of the hangups and taboos that we have, in this regard, are dreamt up by humans. A species with a proclivity towards dreaming up things.
Animals, left to themselves, need much less Psychiatry and much less Sunday School than some humans seem to have evolved to "need".

EDIT : Note, to clarify, I am talking about the pairings of mice/rodents here. It occurs to me that this reads not-quite-right without the clarification.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
ceduke
At one pet store I worked at we had a customer who fed his corn goldfish. Never struck me as a particularly good idea, but he said he'd had the snake for years and it seemed fine. 0-o

Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
vetusvates

As for diet and foodstuffs, just do some thread searching. You'll find all sorts of reading. From longtime breeders, with much wisdom and experience.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
carnivorouszoo
As fa as incest with FEEDER colonies it doesn't matter too much IMO. They will not last long and are being bred to death anyway.

I am breeding Mice, Gerbils, Dwarf Hamsters, and ASFs. They are not "bad" for your snak you just run the risk of one or so deciding they do not like mice anymore then you need to breed more of that one kind for that snake. To ME no biggie. So far my snake has eaten Mice, ASFs and DHs with no problem switching back an forth and not had any issues with her poo. This may change when she is eating adult rodents but for now its fine.

Disclaimer: This is my oppinion and how I do things as wellas my experiences to date with my one and only snake.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #16
gabegt
I have heard of people feeding there snake pieces or raw chicken, and also big worms.

I think worms would be good for babies, no?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabegt View Post
I have heard of people feeding there snake pieces or raw chicken, and also big worms.

I think worms would be good for babies, no?
Worms have nowhere near the nutritional value needed for a baby corn's growth. Worms are good for some snakes, though (ringnecks, baby garters, and a few other small snakes).
Chicken isn't recommended for the long run, but can be used in a pinch (specifically gizzards, hearts, and those other random nasty parts).

Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #18
Fozzy8810
I acutally have a quick question about the Munson Plan. So far my yearling opal snake is eating 1 pinky every Sunday and Wednesday. I'm not sure when to move him onto two pinks if i start the munson plan. and when i do start the plan will i have to feed him 2 pinks in 1 sitting only once a week?

Thanks it would be much appriciated

Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
danielle
Yes a yearling should be up to fuzzies at least by now and only fed once a week not twice. I would wait 5-7 days after your last feeding an then feed 2 pinks at once.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
Fozzy8810
he's about 16-18 inches long, and has a complete diameter of the tip of a between a pinky finger and a mechanical penicl. i'm not sure of his exact birthday cause the breeder only said he was hatched in 2008. i guess i could feed him 2 pinks on sunday until july 12thish or 19th, which is when i'll move him up to peach fuzzies

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google