CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Do you seperate the females from the colony?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
ericswan_1
Do you seperate the females from the colony?

this not really a how to question more so a how do YOU do it.
I have curently 11 breeding tanks set up 1.5, i use totes with screened lids and front with the water bottles on the outside of the tanks and works really good. when i get a preg female i pull her and she goes into her own tank. my thought are mice will controll there own population and slow breeding down if over crowded so i pull females thus possobly speeding up breeding in my shrinking tanks. doe goes back in orriginal tank after pups are weaned.

how do you do it and why.

Thanks
Eric

Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
medusacoils
We don't do it! We currently have over 100 tanks of Rodents. All different types, because my wife raises them for Shows, Pets, Breeding and for feeders. On occasion we will have a problem, but for the most part, the other females in the colony will pool all the pinks together and they will raise them in a group. We have done this for years.

Wayne

Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
ericswan_1
thanks for the reply just curious on how every one else does it and if there is an easer way to go about it.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswan_1 View Post
thanks for the reply just curious on how every one else does it and if there is an easer way to go about it.
Both methods work! It's just dealing with the number of tanks we have and the number of rodents, it wouldn't be economical for us. I guess it would cut down on canabalism, but then again, we haven't had a big problem with that.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Buzzard
I leave the female in the container. I use large lab style cages. I find the other females help out raising the pinkies and usually the male does to (keeping them warm). I cull my my babies 3-4 weeks in and have a weanling cage for them. I have to produce around 200 a month to keep up with my demands.
I tryed to do the seperating thing but found I had more issues with reintroducing the females. Not to include the extra cages it took to seperate. If my demands were smaller I might consider seperation to keep population to a minimum.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
vetusvates
When I did breed feeder mice for my snakes, back in the late 70's, early 80's...and then again in the early 1990's, I had standard laboratory-type bins, about shoebox size or smaller. Water on outside. Food on outside, in metal frame of lid made with a "valley" that held the food (minimal food wastage and mess). Kept 1 male and 2 females in each bin/tub. Had a nice regular little moose factory.
Had plenty to feed with, and plenty to freeze. Never moved females or babies. Never saw a need.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
ericswan_1
thanks to all. the food bins on the outside of the cage is a good idea is there any instruction or pics of these. we waste alot of food on tank cleaning day.

Thanks

Eric

Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Buzzard
Here is a Medium size lab style cage food up top.... I use these for 1:3 sometimes 1:4 you do have to attend to them a lot with this size cage, overcrowding happens quick. I have larger ones for the larger colonies.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
ericswan_1
those are nice. wow i will have to look into getting some of those.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Buzzard
They can get a bit expensive. I pay about 30 bucks a piece not including shipping. I usually order 4-6 at a time it helps offset the shipping.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google