CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

1 or 2 Pinkies?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
ShenziSixaxis
1 or 2 Pinkies?

So I while I got my corn today, I also got two pinkies since I'm gonna see if I can buy them in bulk for a good price somewhere. First off, the pinkies are pretty equal in size, but you know how big a USB connector is? That's about how big they are. Another comparison would be the end segment of a ladies (not real thick :P) size hand. They're freakin' tiny, even compared to my corn.

So I'm wondering, I picked my corn up to put her/him in their new home, and my thumb twitched (problem with my right hand because of an injury in the wrist) a bit and the snake striked at it and actually moved in such a way I thought it would try constricting my thumb. This snake and it's cagemates at the store I got it from were fed last Friday, four days ago.

So I'm thinking my snake's hungry, but like I said, I just got the classic morph corn today, so I don't think I should feed it.. I'm thinking Friday or Saturday (maybe Thursday?), and when I do, should I try feeding it just one or two?

If it helps, the snake shed not too long ago, maybe even just last night or earlier this morning.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
jlindp
It's generally an accepted practice to let the corn acclimate to its new home for about 5-7 days, especially a baby.

As for feeding, I would try to get a weight on your snake to judge how much to feed it. Most snakes that weigh 16+ get two pinkies. Try doing a search for the Munson Plan. It's very useful. :}

Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
ShenziSixaxis
I've looked at the Munson plan. The only problem is I'm not sure we have a scale that measures in grams...

Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
ShenziSixaxis
I do NOT have a scale that measures in grams. I have one that measures in lb/kg, but that's bot nearly accurate enough. So until I get a proper scale, here's a picture to guess with.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
jlindp
From the picture she appears to be large enough to be on double pinks, and perhaps small fuzzies, but that is just a GUESS. It would be a very good idea to purchase a food scale from a place such as Target or Wal-Mart. I have one that was only $15. It's a great investment.

If you feel uncertain about her weight and how many pinks to feed her, I'd just start with 1 for now and try to get a scale in the meantime. It would be far worse to feed her too much and cause a regurge than feed her too little. However, it's your snake and your choice. :}

Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
ShenziSixaxis
I'll consider the small fuzzies since I can buy them individually (and also select the smallest). When I feed my snake, I'll decide on wither to feed the one or two pinkies depending on how s/he reacts.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Buzzard
How round is your snake. Quarter size round, nickel??? It appears it a little bigger than a nickel, I would go with a fuzzy.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
wstphal
Or give us a picture with a ruler or a coin in it or one of the pinkies. That way I bet the experienced people will be better able to tell you what to feed. Scales are about $30 at Target, BTW.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
ShenziSixaxis

There are the two pictures I took as reference with a Vermont quarter. The snake (which I'm thinking is female by the tail shape) is probably about as round as a nickel at the thickest section.
I also noticed while I had the snake out for those pictures she actually didn't mind being picked up (curled right around my hands) and started to explore my bed. There were plenty of hiding spaces but she just stuck her head in them and then went in another direction. I only got her yesterday and she's a new snake, so I'm thinking she was just exploring; or does that sound like she's hungry? Again, it was almost a week ago she was fed...

Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
wstphal
She looks to be about as big as Attitude (18 gms last weight) & to be about as big around as Attitude, who is on double pinks. So that would be my recommendation. More experienced people may tell you differently & I would listen to the voices of experience as I am fairly new to herpetoculture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google