CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

first online order!!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
4riscorn
Talking first online order!!

I just placed my first online order with Mice Direct...getting 1200 mice for $214 which includes shipping. That is about .18 per mouse where I was paying my "special discounted rate" at my pet store of .75 per mouse!! And that was my bulk rate there! At another store, they were charging me $1.25 per mouse even when I bought a lot at once. I am so excited but nervous since this will be my first experience with this multitude of mice at once plus with dry ice! Move over pork chops the mice are moving in!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
sinisterserpents1
Oh wow, you were getting burnt bad! Ordering in bulk from a place like mice direct, rodent pro, etc is SOOOO much better! You have nothing to be worried about. Jason likes to "play" with the dry ice. He'll get a big water jug or soda container and fill it half full of water, then put dry ice in it, shake it, throw it, and run like hell! It makes a HUGE BOOM!! Don't let your husband read this or he'll be wanting to try it out lol

Old 05-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
K. Rene
Heck that dry ice trick sounds like something I might do lol

When we first got our babies we were paying .50 cents for PINKIES! Thank goodness we made a joint order with my friend and breeder Nancy. We also probably wouldn't have as many corns as we do now if I hadn't done it lol. 1/3 of my (little) freezer is mice, were thinking about getting one of those top opening mini freezers this summer. Not being able to freeze much food stinks.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
4riscorn
Yea, we have a freezer like that Kelsie that will be just for mice!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
kadaysa
Congrats, dont ya feel great when you can save some cash like that. I purchased a foodsaver and started ordering bulk as well. It's was a big production for me when they came in. The first time I broke down all the bags into like lots of 25 and then resealed. It took a very very long time. I don't think my son or boyfriend were pleased that I hogged up the kitchen all that time to seal mice up. The last shipment I kept most of the bags at larger sizes and when it comes to needing that bag I will break it down if needed. Same amount of work, well actually a little more but at least it wasn't done in one time frame. Anyway congrats

PS, isn't also nice to know that you can tell people here that you ordered mice in bulk and you get positive reponses, I could only imagine telling non-snakey peeps that and the responses you might get

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
4riscorn
Yea, that is our next investment..a food saver system. I know they have those cheaper, hand-held type ones. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Nanci
I have the cheap one and it works great. I put the mice in bags, divided into about 25 for adult mice, more for smaller mice. I write on the bags what size is in there. Sometimes I separate the mice by weight- like I'll have three sizes of fuzzies. Then I vacuum speal the bags and put them in boxes like Tupperware (Fresher Longer, that you can't buy any more, I don't think). I put pinks and fuzzies in a small box, rat pinks and fuzzies in another small box, hoppers through jumbos, and chicks, in a large box, and extra anything, mostly adults, in a medium box.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
4riscorn
Nanci..how long can you keep them in the freezer?

Right now I have been labeling each freezer bag for each day of the week, with the names and what they get, a few days at a time. If one refuses, I mark out that name and try offering it to the next day's feeding if the size is the same. Then I just take theirs out of the bag for the next day and cross their name out (while still frozen of course). If I see they are in blue, I take out their mouse before thawing them. It is working so far. For the ones I know will possibly cause me feeding trouble, I put them in their own bags so nothing gets wasted. Once the online order comes tomorrow, I probably won't be doing that anymore because I had a bag of hoppers I couldn't get any of the snakes to eat...so they had to get tossed.$$ down the drain! So I had to start all over again. I had just gotten them from a bulk store order but since none of them would eat them I figured something had to be wrong with them. I had them for 2 weeks before opening the bag so the store wouldn't take them back. They had a very strong odor and had bedding and droppings in the bag. They didn't tell me who they got them through...guess they didn't want me to know the mark-up.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
cobained
I just got an order in from RodentPro last week. I've always split orders with someone but this time I was on my own. Since most of my 09s are on fuzzies or hoppers now but were just eating pinkies when I got them, I didn't really take in to account the size difference in ordering 300 pinkies or 300 hoppers, and the box was actually 85% full. Needless to say the bottom drawer of the freezer isn't QUITE big enough to hold all 700something mice! Good thing my hubby doesn't care (o:

Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
cobained
I'm just finishing up a bag of weanlings that have been in the freezer since probably August of last year. They look exactly the same as the day I bought them. I was getting ready to pay a bit extra to buy from a company that vacuum seals their mice, but didn't feel like it was worth it since I haven't had issues with freezer burn or anything. Now pinkies are a different story, and the pinkies I had left from about 6 months ago were starting to get ugly. We also have a newer freezer that's really good about holding the temps, and doesn't get opened a whole lot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google