• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Quirky but big personality

Warthog32332

Hello everyone so after having my Charcoal Corn, Xerxes for just about a week today I've noticed some quirky behavior from him that I'm inclined to believe is just part of his personality but could be just the personality of corns in general, I'm not experienced enough to know. Anyway for one, whenever I move something around in his viv or move him out and back in his first response is to bury himself, seems natural, however he tends to forget he has a tail and as such usually a third or a quarter of him is still sticking out above the Aspen, its pretty funny. Another quirk is I believe he's a bit of a clutz, maybe this is normal maybe not but idk. He has found his way several times to the very top inner rim of the viv, like right against the mesh, I assume attempting to plot an escape. This seems like a more natural behavior and he doesn't do it much anymore but it's pretty funny. I've even found bent wires in the mesh where he's attempted to insert his snout through to no avail. I also have noticed he's awfully shy, and that is more likely than not due to the fact he's only about 3 and a half months old. But I don't know, he doesn't flee when I enter his viv he simply locks eyes on my hand and watches it like a hawk. He's pretty full of personality and a great snake so far. I'll attempt to feed him for the first time this Wednesday wish me luck!

Seems normal to me. When he buries he totally thinks he's completely hidden. This also happens around the water bowl, usually. They curl there and think they're hidden.

Climbing to the mesh is also normal if he has something to stretch from and reach there. They will explore everything and try finding an escape spot. Just make sure he can't push the lid or bend the mesh in excess so that he fits through.

The shynes may or may not be personality, but again, he's very young. He'll calm down eventually at around a year old, just keep your routine and handle him and he'll figure out you're not a predator. It took like 8 months for me that Naga didn't flee to a hide when I just opened his viv. I managed to make him learn how to come out of the small faunarium on his own, so that when I opened the top lid he just climbed out. It was less stressful for him and easier for me to take him out (just had to be careful not to leave the lid unlocked). Now he just keeps doing his thing until I rise his head to the open door so that he comes out himself. Don't worry, you have plenty of time with your snake and he'll calm down in the end.
Enjoy your time together :)

You know what's really strange- some species of snakes, coral snakes are one that comes to mind- will hide under a piece of glass and feel like they are safe, allowing them to be displayed in zoos. They think they are hidden, but we can still see them! It must be more about the feeling than lack of light. They really aren't the smartest things, bless their hearts!

Snake Hiding - "if he can't see you, then you obviously can't see him."

Corn Snakes at the top of their Cage - Corn Snakes (all rats snakes for that matter) are excellent climbers and even like to climb. A rat snake is one of the few species that can actually climb right up the trunk of a tree. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing this. It is even recommended for people who own corn snakes to provide vines and branches for them to climb on. And yes, a corn snake is a notorious escape artist. There are a number of people right here on this forum who have lost their snakes because of its ability to climb. Make sure your cage openings and lids are "escape proof."

Shy Corn Snakes - he may be a bit shy or maybe it just seems that way to you. He is young and you've not had him long. All snakes are a bit different and so are all snake owners. I can tell you my snake is very curious and watches me sometimes when i walk into the room. I can most of the time open his cage door (it's a front opening door) and he will actually crawl out right into my hands. There is nothing shy about this little guy. Of course he is approaching 1 year old (next month) and I've had him now 9 months so he is pretty used to me now.

Back