CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Chip's Fish Shop
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Chip's Fish Shop Rants, raves, product reviews & thoughts from my retail aquarium store, but mostly pictures of guns and snakes.

Custom Colt 9mm 1911 build

Old 10-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Chip
Custom Colt 9mm 1911 build

I haven't made it to Daytona to spend money the last couple of years, and have been putting all my extra income towards another firearm build. The 1911 is my favorite pistol platform, but in its traditionally chambered .45 ACP, it's a bit much for a long day of shooting or for some women and younger people I take to the range. So I decided I'd have my dream gun built. I have three of the biggest names in the industry working on different parts of this gun, and it will be a one of a kind heirloom.

I started with a 30 year old Colt government model, chambered in 9mm:

I wanted Chuck Roger's golf balls as the grip texture. Most everyone who has handled one has said it is the most comfortable grip made that won't get slippery. Here's an example of his work:

Typically, custom shops "checker" the front straps of 1911's, which I like fine, but it will start removing some skin from your fingers and palm after a lot of rounds. For comparison, here is one of my other guns with traditional checkering:

Here is my gun after having the texture applied:

So basically, these dimples are put where the rough checkering usually goes. You probably wouldn't notice much difference shooting one magazine, but after a couple hundred rounds, the controls and grip area of checkered guns can get abrasive. And I think the golf balls look pretty cool, too. More to come.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Chip
So, back from Roger's Precision, it is at Business End Customs, a one man outfit run by gunsmith extraordinaire, Lou Biondo. Lou will do all the internal work, as well as the rest of the cosmetic work. And he is very detail oriented.

Here is a sketch of roughly what I wanted the pistol to look like:

I decided on a short, flat trigger, which he fabricated from a blank piece of aluminum:

Finished:

Old 10-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Chip
I wanted the slide to be flattened on top, serrated, and "hi-Power" cuts added. Here is the original slide after clean up:

After cosmetic work:

Even the front sight is fabricated from a piece of metal. Since this is a range gun, I am going with fiber optic, which my aging eyes see best:

Old 10-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Chip
Cleaning up the beavertail grip safety:

I got the before and after backwards on this pic, but the smooth one is after cleaning up all the sharp edges:

Old 10-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Chip
Shortening up the slide stop:

Removing top serrations:

Finished product:

Other side:

Old 10-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Chip
"Round butt" treatment. People snicker, but it's one less sharp part to cause discomfort whether shooting or carrying the gun in a holster. And the job he did on this does more for me than any Kardashian.

Expanding the magwell, so magazines go in more easily. This is one modification that makes a real difference and is not just cosmetic at all:

Finished magwell:

Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Chip
Completed pistol:

First function test was 150 rounds of various brands of ammo and reloads, with no malfunctions:

Sights will be dialed in, fire components and action work checked and calibrated if needed, and then the gun will go off to master gunsmith Joe Chambers for finish. Joe will traditionally polish and "blue" the pistol where he heats hot salts in a tanks and then puts the properly prepared parts in the tank for the proper amount of time under the proper conditions so as to fast rust oxidize them and turn them a bluish black color...it's a rather archaic, messy, time consuming process that few gunsmiths know how to do these days and even fewer still actually perform properly these days. I haven't gotten a time frame from him, but I expect the pistol to be in my hands around the new year. Here's a video of the gun being test fired, including some slo-mo: http://instagram.com/p/utCDZMwhs0/
Thanks for looking.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Chip
Recoil spring plug is back from the engraver:

Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
Chip
I forgot to update, but I got this pistol back a month ago:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google