CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Having Breakfast with my corn

Old 12-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
Hoss
Having Breakfast with my corn

This little one is a bit hungry.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
Twolunger
Is that a scrambled egg it's eating? I know corns can eat eggs in the wild, but I never thought about cooking one. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Hoss
Scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Is that a scrambled egg it's eating? I know corns can eat eggs in the wild, but I never thought about cooking one. Thanks for sharing.
Yes it is indeed scrambled eggs. Boiled eggs work just as well. Just cut down to an appropriate portion size four you babies.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Dragonling
Hm, I have some egg yolk powder in the freezer...I wonder if it could be used for scenting.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Hoss
Snakes have been known to eat eggs in the wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Hm, I have some egg yolk powder in the freezer...I wonder if it could be used for scenting.
All I can tell you for certain is that for some reason snakes in the wild will eat eggs and those in captivity will do the same. Boiled pieces, scrambled pieces... have yet to try powdered frozen yolk without the albumen. I imagine it would provide an additional source of nutrients, but would lack the binding agent that albumen provides. Perhaps mix with an alginate source to make it hold its form better?

May I enquire as to why you keep egg yolks frozen in the freezer?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
All I can tell you for certain is that for some reason snakes in the wild will eat eggs and those in captivity will do the same. Boiled pieces, scrambled pieces... have yet to try powdered frozen yolk without the albumen. I imagine it would provide an additional source of nutrients, but would lack the binding agent that albumen provides. Perhaps mix with an alginate source to make it hold its form better?

May I enquire as to why you keep egg yolks frozen in the freezer?
Since it's a powder I would only need to sprinkle a bit on the mice.

I put it in the freezer since it's been opened. :P I have no idea how long it might last in the fridge, but it's a fairly large bag so I would prefer to not waste it if possible. I got it to experiment with carotenoid supplementation. Also to help bring a non-feeding rescue back from the brink, but unfortunately she passed before I was able to try it.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Hoss
Supplementing with eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Since it's a powder I would only need to sprinkle a bit on the mice.

I put it in the freezer since it's been opened. :P I have no idea how long it might last in the fridge, but it's a fairly large bag so I would prefer to not waste it if possible. I got it to experiment with carotenoid supplementation. Also to help bring a non-feeding rescue back from the brink, but unfortunately she passed before I was able to try it.
I totally get your idea now, using eggs as an additive and inexpensive nutrient ingredient is definitely a way to go.

Not sure how this pick will come out, but this is my baby eating eggs out of the palm of my hand.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Bazooka Joe
Wow, that's really cool. I'm going to try that with my guys/girl.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
DeuceRon
This may sound silly, but is it okay to give 'em a small piece every once in a while? I mean, does their digestive system handle grocery store eggs well?

I really like that idea and would love to see if mine will eat them.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
Hoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceRon View Post
This may sound silly, but is it okay to give 'em a small piece every once in a while? I mean, does their digestive system handle grocery store eggs well?

I really like that idea and would love to see if mine will eat them.
Grocery store eggs come from chicken cloaca just like those that you collect from your own yard. But, if you have access to true free roaming chicken eggs I'd get them. The problem is most free roaming chickens are free to roam in a very small area and aren't what I would consider true free roaming chickens. A yolk from a chicken allowed to run free is generally a bright orange and not that dull yellow to orange you see at the store.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google