CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

HATCHLING THREAD (VOL. 3) 2014-2015 Edition

Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #91
steve roylance
Pic with a Sunrise and a Mystery Corn.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #92
JimGERcream
Very nice comparison pic!

I've posted my late developer, so you can compare them too.

---> http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138775

One question: Are those Sunrise corns a linebred lineage or is it inheritable when you cross different lineages into the original one? I know Sunrise but here in Europe they are not really in demand.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #93
steve roylance
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGERcream View Post

One question: Are those Sunrise corns a linebred lineage or is it inheritable when you cross different lineages into the original one? I know Sunrise but here in Europe they are not really in demand.
Thank you! And nice animal!! Too bad you sold it.

I believe it's a recessive gene, as Don has them floating around in some of his Amels. I did many project crosses last year, so next season we will find out even more.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #94
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGERcream View Post

Wow, very odd

Chip had this same thing with one of his Scaleless Corns this year. Hatched out looking like a Anery and after a couple sheds, colors came in strong.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #95
DuxorW
Quote:
I believe it's a recessive gene, as Don has them floating around in some of his Amels. I did many project crosses last year, so next season we will find out even more.
You proved that sunrise is either allelic to or the same mutation as kastanie, right?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #96
steve roylance
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
You proved that sunrise is either allelic to or the same mutation as kastanie, right?
Yes

I believe Sunrise is Recessive.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #97
DuxorW
Thanks, I found the thread now. The textbook term for the cross you did with the kastanie het amel diffused and the sunrise is "complementation test." Before DNA sequencing, it was the gold standard for testing whether different mutations are in the same gene.

There is a way to distinguish whether they are two different mutations in the same gene (allelic) or whether they are the same mutation, but I'm sure you've already thought of it. A gene can be recessive to wildtype but dominant over its other alleles. If we just assumed that kastanie and sunrise were allelic but not the same exact mutation, since you got babies that looked like mandarins from that cross, it would suggest that kastanie is recessive to wildtype but dominant over sunrise. So if you bred two of those mandarins together you would expect 3/4 of the hatchlings to look mandarin and 1/4 to look sunrise. But of course if the differences between mandarins and sunrise are due to line breeding or the different localities then that would complicate the interpretation. But it'd still be a cool "experiment."

My bet is that they are the same mutation and all of the offspring will look like mandarins, or that there will be a continuum of phenotypes.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #98
steve roylance
Quote:
Thanks, I found the thread now. The textbook term for the cross you did with the kastanie het amel diffused and the sunrise is "complementation test." Before DNA sequencing, it was the gold standard for testing whether different mutations are in the same gene.

There is a way to distinguish whether they are two different mutations in the same gene (allelic) or whether they are the same mutation, but I'm sure you've already thought of it. A gene can be recessive to wildtype but dominant over its other alleles. If we just assumed that kastanie and sunrise were allelic but not the same exact mutation, since you got babies that looked like mandarins from that cross, it would suggest that kastanie is recessive to wildtype but dominant over sunrise. So if you bred two of those mandarins together you would expect 3/4 of the hatchlings to look mandarin and 1/4 to look sunrise. But of course if the differences between mandarins and sunrise are due to line breeding or the different localities then that would complicate the interpretation. But it'd still be a cool "experiment."

My bet is that they are the same mutation and all of the offspring will look like mandarins, or that there will be a continuum of phenotypes.
Thank you! Definitely gonna do some more with these guys. I did the same breeding again this season.

Due to needing more room for other projects, and waiting on my new Hatchling /Incubation room to be finished, I unfortunately was unable to keep those babies and someone else has the "project animals", but I believe they said that they are looking more like Sunrise than Kastanie now. Since I have more babies coming this season from the same breeding I'm holding on to them. This season I bred the same Kastanie X what is said to be a Christmas Hypo Mahogany. I have a feeling we'll see the same results. I'll post the results of that breeding here when the time comes.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #99
DuxorW
Cool. When you say they are looking more like sunrise than kastanie, do you mean that those mandarin-looking hatchlings grew to look more like sunrise than mandarin?

Old 11-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #100
steve roylance
Quote:
Cool. When you say they are looking more like sunrise than kastanie, do you mean that those mandarin-looking hatchlings grew to look more like sunrise than mandarin?
Yes that's correct.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google