CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New snake owner!

Old 02-28-2021, 02:24 AM   #1
sydvish1999
Smile New snake owner!

Hi there! I just got my baby corn about a week ago (still not sure if it’s a boy or a girl yet). Everything is going great so far! Baby corn ate a frozen/thawed pinkie no problem Thursday morning, and I was able to handle for the first time tonight for a short period of time.

I couldn’t find the answer to this question online (it might be stupid) but my baby corn is a snow morph with red eyes. I’m concerned that I won’t be able to tell when they start to shed because of baby corns pale pink and white coloring, and eyes. Will their eyes still get a cloudy bluish film?

Thank you!

Old 02-28-2021, 02:50 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Hi, welcome to the forum! Feel free to post pics of your new baby! Snow corns definitely can be a bit tricky when it comes to being able to tell when they go blue. The red eyed morphs don't really go blue, but they will turn a cloudy pink. The body color will be slightly duller, but that is really hard to see. You may also notice a slight amount of iridescence in the belly scales. But cloudy pink eyes are the easiest thing to notice! You may also notice a change in behavior. I often notice that my snakes will be hiding for several days in a row and when I go to check on them, it's because they're in blue.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
blacktip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I often notice that my snakes will be hiding for several days in a row and when I go to check on them, it's because they're in blue.
This for sure. My babies have always been active for at least part of the day. Once they start going into blue they disappear and I would swear I don't have a snake anymore.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
blacktip
One other thing you can do is track when he sheds. I've found that my babies have been pretty consistent in how frequently they shed. After a couple of sheds you should be able to estimate when they will shed again and then you can be expecting it and not be scared when they disappear.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding, snow