CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Slugs in a newly acquired snake?

Old 06-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
darksidemike
Slugs in a newly acquired snake?

Hey everyone,
So I just acquired a skinny/neglected adult female June 1st. Was the same same owner since a baby and has been barely ever handled throughout its life.
I was told she hadn't had heat for the last few weeks, I live in Ottawa, Canada so still isn't very hot here yet.
Although I was told she ate the week before she seems thin and reallyyyyy hungry.
Got her June 1st, fed her 1 small mouse June 2nd, 10 days go by without defecation, I starting lightly palpating the bottom 3rd of the abdomen and she finally poops!
As I'm palpating I feel 5-6 big defined lumps, they feel like eggs, they're not near the vent though, still pretty high up.
Is it possible this girl went into brumation from low temps and produced some slugs?
You can actually see the lumps, possibly from being skinny.
Thanks for any help

Old 06-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
That sounds like eggs. They don't have to be brumated to produce slugs. I recommend giving her a lay box with some damp sphagnum moss.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
darksidemike
already put one in there over her hot spot.
She's skinny as heck though, I worry she won't have the energy to pass them.
Should I up the feeding to two mice every 5 days? or will that cause issues cause she has eggs in her now?

Old 06-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Hmm, I probably wouldn't feed her multiples, but I would keep her on a 5-7 day schedule with a large mouse (if she can handle it). Others may have a different opinion on that, so don't feel like you have to take my advice.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
darksidemike
Regardless, Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
darksidemike
well, I can tell the eggs have moved down her body and are right at her vent. she she 4 days ago and i'm just waiting and hoping they all pass easily.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #7
Shiari
Make sure she has a laybox and just basically leave her alone for the next week.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
darksidemike
nothing yet, she shed the 20th of June

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google