CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Adult corn feeding problem. Urgent.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
JemmaUK
Adult corn feeding problem. Urgent.

I have two adult corns and two babies - of the four of them three are voracious eaters - with the adults on medium mice, and the babies just transferred to fuzzies (and isnt that a change - they're huge in comparison to pinkies.)

The problem is with Phantom - my ghost corn female. I cant get her to eat whatever I try and shes starting to get weaker. I have tried splitting the two of them up but that doesnt help. I have tried feeding mice that have been thawed in warm water, hot water - or thawed naturally. No joy. I have tried thawed mice that are then heated to body temperature (hairdryer) and she wont take them either. I have tried a fuzzie, I have tried it cut. I dont have any clue what else to do. Shes quite small - about 3ft long all in all.

Shes active if I hold her and she'll sit in my hand and slither about the room but shes so slow compared to flamenco - the male - that its almost painful to watch.

I have listened for the signs of breathing problems - nothing that I can hear and I have phenominal hearing. she seems completely disinterested in the food whatever I try. So far as I can tell she is defecating properly.

I know shes been bred by the male but I cant see her getting gravid at all and there is no evidence of any eggs - so I dont think its egg binding syndrome. Her belly is soft and I cant feel any masses anywhere, not that its particularly easy to tell.

I put a mouse in with her last night in a separate vivarium - left her overnight and she didnt touch it - just carefully pushed it to one side of her under the hide and curled up...

Im at my wits end here, its like shes slowly fading away, and I cant think of anything left to try - anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Naagas
How long has it been since Phantom has eaten?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
JemmaUK
I have had her just over the month - and in that time she has accepted one feed of 4 pinkies (because that was all I had available) - other than those she wont accept anything @ all

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Naagas
Braining has worked for me: poking a toothpick through the eye socket of the mouse, then squeeze a little so that brains come out. Gross, but snakes love the smell. After braining the mouse, I just kinda bump the snake in the mouth with the mouse until the snake gets irritated and strikes. Or starts mouthing the mouse.
But, different things work for different snakes...

Have you tried offering her pinkies again? Since she ate those once, she might eat those again.

But, remember that adult corns can go a long time without eating. So far she has gone less than a month, and I bet she can survive at least another couple of months.

If she is acting weak, she might have something medically wrong with her. You may want to take her to a vet if you are concerned. But, if you think she is alright medically, just continue to offer her food at regular intervals (remember not to offer food too often)

Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
K. Rene
I have heard of snakes being stubborn and not eating during breeding season, maybe that's what's wrong with her.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
diamondlil
Going without feeding for 3 weeks shouldn't affect a healthy adult corn to the point of making it weak, my adult males get fed ar 3 or 4 week intervals. Have you weighed her? Without tracking her weight you won't really have an accurate idea of how she's affected.
The most common reasons for an adult non-feeding are related to the snake being ;
a male in breeding mode
a gravid female
temps too high or too low
lack of security because of over-handling or lack of hides

Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
bitsy
I'd go with feeding pinkies as well, if thats all she'll eat. It's an expensive option, but if she's really going downhill (and truly you'll be the only one who knows), then it has to be better than nothing. Maybe you could try h with a fuzzy at the same time as offering pinkies?

If you really do feel that she's fading, then I'd definitely take her to a vet for a checkup in your place. If nothing else, she could get a calcium shot, which my vet uses as a pick-me-up (and which can sometimes work wonders). I agree that going without food for a month really won't affect a healthy adult - even one on a breeding season strike (which is unusual in a female). I'd have thought there must be something more going on.

Maybe run through Janine's checklist and make sure her conditions are ideal, before spending money on a vet.

Do you have any idea of what she was eating and how often, before you got her?

And as she's been mated, do you have a laying box in with her, just in case? It doesn't really sound like she's gravid, but some can conceal eggs very effectively.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
KingCrimson<3
Cohabbing could also be causing her stress, shes living with the male, right? You said you tried splitting them up, how long did you split them up for? It can take some time for them to relax after prolonged stress; try housing her alone for a few weeks and see if you can get her eating then.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
JemmaUK
URGENT

Well, the cohabbing issue is solved for the moment - flamenco forced the glass panel on the front of the vivarium and has disappeared. I cant find him in the flat anywhere - I have looked outside and cant see him there either - he hasnt been on the road because he would most likely have been hit by a car and I have been up and down it and he hasnt.

Worst of all I had just fed him so hes not going to be hungry for a while so tempting him out with food is not going to work. Hes a full grown adult snake around 4.5 - 5 feet long so I dont think he could have gotten out of the flat with a full belly..

Anyone have any suggestions as to finding him?? Im really worried about him getting out since its waaay too cold outside for him at the moment. The other thing that worries me is if hes gotten trapped in something and cant get out...

would I hear him if he was moving about in the flat and would he be likely to go outside even if it was cold out?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Shiari
You won't hear him. The best thing to do is make sure your flat has as little on the floor as possible, and then leave small piles of things in warm areas. Check those regularly, and behind and underneath all furniture.

Most often they don't go very far at all. The farthest away I've found an escapee has been about 15 feet.

As to the earlier problem: If you've only had the snake for a month, split them up and returned them to the same viv, the split up was nowhere near long enough. It took Ferenea over a month to eat after I stopped cohabbing her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google