CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

$10,000 Down!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Pyzik
$10,000 Down!

Just excited and wanted to share.
We have been following our own little modified version of Dave Ramsey's advice on debt. (Can't talk the wife into fully committing to the plan, Lord I've tried!)
We set up our emergency fund and just over the weekend payed off $10k in credit card debt. We've got around $5,000 left but now that the largest part is gone the rest should be easier. Then we'll move to killing our car payments.

Just getting rid of the credit cards will free up $400 a mo.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Nanci
Congratulations!!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Pyzik
Thanks Nanci!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
LMS68
Holy cow, well done! How are you doing it?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
bitsy
That's amazing! Well done

Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Myca
Good for you. We finally got out house paid off last fall. It is a good feeling.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Joba
Congrats! I hope you knock the rest of that debt out quickly! We have also been reevaluating our lifestyle. Directv ($120 mo.) GONE. Switching car insurance ($150 mo. savings). Smartphones, completely unnecessary, will be gone come September with $90 mo. saving on data charges. It's long past the time for us to start cutting some unnecessary spending. Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Joba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myca View Post
Good for you. We finally got out house paid off last fall. It is a good feeling.
Awesome job!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Pyzik
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS68 View Post
Holy cow, well done! How are you doing it?
We consolidated most into one payment using a third party and made it easier for us. They charged $16 a month as a fee though. That was the just over $10k we paid off. We were also making larger than the required payment.
While doing all this we were also setting aside $75 bi-weekly to build up a "emergency" fund of $1,000. This was important because if something were to happen (and it did) we would have cash on hand rather then needing to use credit for said emergency. (wife had to go to the hospital while on vacation with her mom).

Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Pyzik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba View Post
Congrats! I hope you knock the rest of that debt out quickly! We have also been reevaluating our lifestyle. Directv ($120 mo.) GONE. Switching car insurance ($150 mo. savings). Smartphones, completely unnecessary, will be gone come September with $90 mo. saving on data charges. It's long past the time for us to start cutting some unnecessary spending. Good Luck!
I would LOVE to do away with cable. I never even had cable when I was single then for a couple years with the wife but she finally bugged me enough to get it.

Phone plans are a tough one. She's the one that wants to cut them but I LOVE having the internet at my finger tips, lol.

Also, one thing that has helped is budgets and sticking to them.

Thanks again to all for the congrats. And congrats to Myca! That is awesome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google