CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Background on Peelz and issue

Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
lonewolf19k
Exclamation Background on Peelz and issue

Hey guys and gals,

Here is the story and issue. Peelz my red albino was my sister-in-law's ex-boyfriend's. (blah)

They left my house with her and I got her back. She is in the same viv as she was raised in and everything.

She has not eaten on 3+ weeks and I am worried. until I get paid I can not get her a UTH and bigger tank (currently 24x18-ish)

The S-I-L thinks it is because the old boyfriend fed her and she is used to his scent. I am feeding her what he fed her (furries I think F/T) but she no eats.

I try dancing it around and everything and she will not strike.

Any help will be great!!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
lonewolf19k
Exclamation

One more addition.

The ex boyfriend "lost" peelz for 4 days and ended up in my heatpump lost the last 2 inches of her tail and I guess took a blow to her eye trying to strike the fan. (this was a year ago)

She has guts needless to say.

And the ex-boyfriend "lived with snakes his whole life"

Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Chip
Get the food really hot and leave it in there overnight. If the temps are too cold, however, I wouldn't even offer food.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
lonewolf19k
I keep the house arouond 70 year round due to a side effect of the Anthrax Vaccine I recieved in the Army.

Is that cold enough to send her into hibernation?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Merkavich
My guess is shes not eating because of the temperature. She'll be more active and willing to eat most likely once she has some heat.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
Nanci
Poor thing. She's had a rough life! So she doesn't have any heat at all? The viv size itself isn't bad. I'd first spend money on a UTH and thermostat and thermometer. You can attach the UTH with aluminum foil tape, then remove it to put on the larger viv. Is there a warmer place in your house you can put her, like a bathroom? She should be fine if she just has to wait a week or two. Then, as Chip says, get the mouse SUPER hot and dry, and leave it with her. He'd leave it in her viv, I'd put her in a feeding container and cover it with a towel or T-shirt. Either way, just leave her alone and see what happens. I don't think "dancing around" is necessary for cornsnakes, and is perhaps intimidating.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
lonewolf19k
what is a good brand for the UTH and thermostat and thermometer

Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Nanci
UTHs are pretty much the same. I like Ultratherm, (from the Bean Farm) which does not have a sticky backing. If you get ExoTerra, you need the Desert, not the Rainforest. The good cheap thermostat that people are using is Hydrofarm. Do NOT use ZooMed- I know someone who had two failures, with deaths. You can get a thermometer at any store like Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, in the garden section. Or Big Apple Herp has a nice probed model.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Kat_Dog
Oh, my, poor guy sounds like he's had such a hard life

I agree with Nacy, avoid any thermostat made by Zoo-med/zilla/exoterra.
Those 3 brands are the biggest, but a lot of their stuff is crap.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR...ords=hydrofarm
There's the link for the Hydrofarm on Amazon, it's the best thermostat on a budget.

These are considered the best of the best by many people, though are quite expensive:
http://spyderrobotics.com/home/products.html

Here's the thermometer I suggest: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acu-Rite-I...mometer/896347
The probe goes directly on top of the UTH and the unit itself can be put on the cool side to measure the ambient temps.
Don't cheap out and buy a thermometer from petco/petsmart, EVERY thermometer they sell SUCKS!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
lonewolf19k
I am going to order from Big Apple Herp they have what I am looking for.

Thank you all for your help!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google