CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Anyone use Layne Labs?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #51
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretti1228 View Post
yes the shipping procedure was listed ,but not the high price of the shipping. I feel like $48.00 for 50 2 gram mice should be enough for overnight shipping.
Okay, now you admit the shipping procedure was listed. I usually don't like to get argumentative, but when someone criticizes a company because they don't like the clearly stated way the company conducts business, I have difficult time remaining silent.

I just put your state and one of the two zip codes for your town and a bag of 50 small pinkies in the cart on the Layne Labs site. The stated shipping is $47.33. Close enough to $48 to be accurate. The thing is that even when you don't precalculate the shipping it is clearly shown before you finalize the order.

Most mice from most suppliers are shipped ground with enough dry ice to make the trip. Just because you think it should be overnight does not make your criticism fair. You don't have to like them and you don't have to do business with them, but when I see criticism that is unfair, I will speak up.

I'm simply a customer and have no other relationship with Layne Labs. Did your mice arrive correct in size and number, frozen and in good condition? If so, you got what you bargained for. If not, you should take pictures and contact them immediately. Since you didn't complain about the number or quality I assume they were alright. On the other things, you did not do your due diligence and that is your responsibility, not Layne Labs.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #52
DuxorW
I didn't have time to read through this entire thread, but I love Layne Labs. Their rodents are super clean and packaged well. The only reason I don't always order from them is because the shipping can be cost-prohibitive all the way here to Ohio. Otherwise I would never order from anyone else.

My second choice is Big Cheese, but I prefer the packaging and more consistent sizing of Layne Labs.

RodentPro is disgusting and I will never order from them again. My boa wouldn't even touch their dirty, foul-smelling rats.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:23 AM   #53
BeauBoi
If I ever order frozen mice again, I will probably give Lane Labs a try. There is a thread I posted right after I joined here, I didn't come out and say that the thread was about Rodent Pro, but I hinted heavily that it was. The name of the thread is "Problems with on sale feeders" or something like that.
I ordered 50 day-old chicks, 100 pinkies, 100 fuzzies, and 100 hoppers.
Something wasn't right about the hoppers. I don't know exactly what it was, maybe they weren't frozen soon enough, idk, but the snakes won't eat them. Also, their little bodies, once defrosted, are still all hard and stiff. Rigamortus (sp?) or something...
I called Rodent Pro and he guy was intrested enough in what I had to say, and he took down the product numbers from the bag, but that was it. He never tried to make it right.
~Beau

Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #54
DollysMom
I remember that thread BeauBoi. It was easy enough to figure out when you referred to them as rodent professionals or something like that.

I got my third order from Layne Labs last week. I buy a 6 month supply. Though if you are careful you can keep them up to a year, I prefer not to. Very happy with their sizing quality and shipping speed (ordered on Friday, received the following Wednesday -- as advertised). I needed several sizes in small quantities of 10 per bag and the largest bag I bought was a bag of 50 small adult mice. Layne is the only place I know that I can buy bags of 10 if I need to.

Even with shipping it works out to just about $1 per mouse and that's so much less than PetSmart that it is worth it. I can get frozen mice at the Chicago Reptile House, but it's s 30 minute drive each way and the price per mouse is about the same as from Layne. The only way for me to get cheaper is to buy at a show which I have done, but again the minimum bag there is usually 50 and I can't order just when I need to.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #55
BeauBoi
I started growing my own feeders last year, after the Rodent Pro disappointment, but I only raise natal mice (due to their lack of odor).

Unfortunately, most people don't want to buy hatchling snakes that have only feed on natal mice because they fear the snake won't want to eat regular mice (completely unfounded by the way), so I still buy pinkies and fuzzies for my hatchlings that I plan to sell.

We have a new feeder company in Lason, a suburb outside of Charleston, called "Carolina Feeders & Breeders". I am hoping that they are just off to a shaky start, because the order I got from them last week was rather disappointing. I ordered 100 medium fuzzies, but when I opened the up the sizes were horribly inconsistent...

So, I plan to put in an order from Lane Labs later this year and give them a shot.

~Beau

Old 06-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #56
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauBoi View Post
Unfortunately, most people don't want to buy hatchling snakes that have only feed on natal mice because they fear the snake won't want to eat regular mice (completely unfounded by the way), so I still buy pinkies and fuzzies for my hatchlings that I plan to sell.
Oof, I worry that people will be even worse about reptilink-fed hatchlings. I don't understand why anyone would think ASF-fed snakes wouldn't eat lab mice though.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #57
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Oof, I worry that people will be even worse about reptilink-fed hatchlings. I don't understand why anyone would think ASF-fed snakes wouldn't eat lab mice though.
A breeder/seller near me here on James Island is actually having that problem now, regarding the reptiilinks I mean. She mentioned it when I saw her at our last Repticon. I don't know if getting them to change from the links to mice would be a problem for all snakes raised on them, but I do have to admit that the one snake I purchased from her (a lavender albino California kingsnake) did give me headaches for the first couple of months because she didn't seem to know what to do with the mice I was trying to feed her. Eventually, she did switch over though.

With the natal rats (aka African soft fur rats), I can sorta see how it happened. Ball Python owners/breeders used the natal rats to get their picky eaters to eat, and it worked a little too well. The natal mouse is native to the same areas where the Balls are native, and after they ate the natal mice they wouldn't go back to regular mice and rats..... However, comparing colubrids to ball pythons is like comparing oranges to bananas. I have never had any trouble with my colubrids switching back and forth between natel mice and regular mice or rats (or chicks, or quail, or hamsters.....).

~Beau

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google