CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Housing in deli cups question?

Old 08-21-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
Blue Apple Herps
Housing in deli cups question?

Is it ok to house hatchlings in deli cups for the 1st month or two?

Just asking because this year I have more than one clutch and having enough space to house 60 corns in shoe boxes isn't going to work. So I thought I'd use deli cups to save space.

I was going to use the 2-litre soda bottle caps for a water bowl. Do you think that between the size of the deli-cup and aspen to burrow in that that would be good enough for them to feel secure?

Old 08-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Khaman
What size deli cups are you going to use? If you are planning on using 6 or 8 oz deli cups I would not recommend aspen as the bedding.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Blue Apple Herps
I think they are 16 oz containers...would aspen be ok?

Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Khaman
I don't think I would use aspen in anything less than an deli that had a 6.75 inch mouth http://superiorenterprise.com/catalo...hp?cPath=21_40

Old 08-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Blue Apple Herps
Then what would you recommend for substrate?

Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
crossmen
Paper towel slowly cut into circles that fit. Get sharp scissors.

Peace
Paul

Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Duff
Just wondering why using aspen would be a problem depending on container size? Never heard of that before. But as far as the original question, I'd imagine that as long as they can get out of sight, that should be fine as a temporary housing solution. I personally wouldn't do it for that long, but don't see it causing any long term issues.

Don't want to sound preachy, but you really should've considered the space issue before deciding to breed multiple clutches. If you can't afford to properly house the babies, then you should really think twice about how far to take things. OK, I'll get down off my soap box now .

Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Blue Apple Herps
Then cut paper towels it is then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff
Don't want to sound preachy, but you really should've considered the space issue before deciding to breed multiple clutches. If you can't afford to properly house the babies, then you should really think twice about how far to take things. OK, I'll get down off my soap box now .
I'm just giving the deli cups a try this year and had a question about them. It seems that it'll be easier in the long run for me. If I find that they aren't working, then I have the space and resources to adequately house and care for my corns; all of them. I'll just go back to the sterlite shoeboxes if these don't work. I appreciate your concern but I'm a responsible keeper for my corns and a responsible breeder.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
JM :o)
2 years ago I kept all my hatchlings in shoeboxes
Last year someone suggested those little sandwich size "gladwares"~ space saving! So thats what I used
This year someone suggested 8oz deli cups were enough for the first month or so~ even MORE space saving (more babies this year~ I REALLY needed to save space!)

It's not that I didn't put any thought into where to keep the babies. It's that I put A LOT of thought into where to put them. And this year they are in 8oz deli's until they are a month or so old. Then any I still have go into the gladware deli's (not sure how long they can stay there~ some at over 2 months still fit fine).

I use a couple sheets of Charmin TP as the substrate in the 8oz delis. I cut LITTLE disposable cups to size so the babies could get in the little water dishes but they are too tall to turn over. Every hatchlings gets a brand spankin fresh clean deli and water cup every week (and the old delis and cups all get a washing for next week).

If you don't want to cut little disposable cups and use toilet paper as a substrate~ here:
Serpenco Supplies

Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
Khaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste
Then what would you recommend for substrate?
As Cheryl suggested I think Rich houses his in delis for the first few months using a coffee filter type material cut to fit the bottom and PVC caps milled to fit as water bowls. So any soft paper should work temporally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff
Just wondering why using aspen would be a problem depending on container size?
In a 16oz deli filled with aspen where are you going to put the bottle top so that (a) it does not get filled with aspen (b) get tipped over by a wondering corn.

I know someone that uses the larger delis filled with aspen with small plastic cup hot glued to the center for housing and it works great for him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google