CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

HUGE growth spurt...

Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
tyflier
HUGE growth spurt...

So...My Sammi Snake shed on the tenth of this month. On the 14th, after digesting and defecating her first full fuzzy, I weighed her. 33grams. Not bad...

48 hours ago, she had her second full size fuzzy. She just defecated, and I weighed her...43 grams. Holding her today, I noticed that she was visibly thicker in the body, and also MUCH stronger, in that she was gripping my wrist with more strength than I had felt from her before.

She seems MUCH stronger and gained a whole 10 grams in just about a weeks time. Is this a common occurence when moving up from pinkies to fuzzies?

Here's a couple pics:

Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Jrgh17
I couldn't say for sure, of course. But I definitely heard somewhere that there's usually a growth spurt.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Nanci
She doesn't look like a baby any more...

I've had similar growth spurts in a couple guys when moved from one prey item to two. Especially Zee, who it seems like was just 30 grams, is now 60.

Nanci

Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Fenderplayer108
I notice the same thing with my collection, after they get off pinks, they start growing!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
wpglaeser
Are you weighing the same time of day, zeroing the scale, and putting the scale on a flat, hard, stable surface before you zeroize? I mean, 10 grams is the weight of 10 paper clips. There could be some induced error in either the scale or the conditions (i.e. did it just drink water before you came in the room?)

Just playing devil's advocate. Also, it may have defacated its previous meal and still have some of its current meal inside digesting. Or it may have more urinating to do.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
snake5007
From what i can tell you about my collection it's a yes. I've noticed that with bigger or more than one prey item they have a growth spurt. Some of mine grew lengthwise first and then started to bulk out. The others grew the other way around, but the majority got longer first.

PS. I weigh mine weekly, after every defecation.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpglaeser
Are you weighing the same time of day, zeroing the scale, and putting the scale on a flat, hard, stable surface before you zeroize? I mean, 10 grams is the weight of 10 paper clips. There could be some induced error in either the scale or the conditions (i.e. did it just drink water before you came in the room?)

Just playing devil's advocate. Also, it may have defacated its previous meal and still have some of its current meal inside digesting. Or it may have more urinating to do.
I hear you...and yes...all things were precisely the same. I use the exact same bin, scale, and location to weigh all of my snakes, once a week, after defecation. The "ritual" is...feed, wait 48-72 hours, take out to defecate on newspaper, weigh, and every 2 weeks I take a new length measurement.

I though 10grams was a bit much, but I have seen other posts with larger mass increases in snakes, and, as well, she is visibly larger and more substantial in feel. It was the visual observation of noticable size gain that sparked my curiosty about the weight potential. Given the noticable size increase, the 10gram gain doesn't seem that far off or even that large. I mean, I see my snakes everyday. If I can visually notice that one is larger than t was just a few days previous, there is bound to be substanmtial weight gain associated with the growth.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
wpglaeser
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake5007
From what i can tell you about my collection it's a yes. I've noticed that with bigger or more than one prey item they have a growth spurt. Some of mine grew lengthwise first and then started to bulk out. The others grew the other way around, but the majority got longer first.

PS. I weigh mine weekly, after every defecation.
My daughter's '05 Okeetee has grown proportionately but very quickly. We are not power feeding, either. My '05 Jalisco Milk has seemed to go the other way, getting VERY long, and somewhat bulkier, but definitely longer than bulkier!

Unfortunately, I haven't charted their weights or lengths. I need to take a snapshot of each, though, soon.

Beautiful snake by the way!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Brizzle
My ghost has been growing pretty fast lately..
He shed about 2-3 weeks ago..Then on Monday I come home and found another shed in his cage..I found it pretty crazy. It was a nice birthday present from him to me, because he's starting to get a lot of yellow and it's pretty.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google