CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

how to treat bites?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
chiemi_chan
how to treat bites?

my baby avery has bitten me four times since i brought him home last october. each time, he's drawn blood, not to mention left his teeth in me (so say the friendly dudes at the reptile store where i bought him!) and, every time, the bite area has become red, itchy, and inflamed. why do i get these crazy, red, itchy bumps, and how can i treat them? does anyone else get them from their snakes' bite?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 AM   #2
Joejr14
Some people are just more 'allergic' to snake bites than other. If I get bit, I itch a bit, but I don't swell up and I don't get all red.

Despite what the pet store dude says, teeth don't always come out with a snake bite.

Either way, just wash with warm water and soap. If you get red and itchy, something like a Benadryll cream will work just fine.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Plissken
I don't react badly to bites, but we all have to keep them clean regardless, so when I'm bitten I wash the bite marks carefully and usually put a little antiseptic or something on it. Occasionally a plaster if there was a lot of blood.

I use antibac soap for the initial wash as I like something to kill any germs which may have been in the snake's mouth, but personally I wouldn't use too much soap on a snakebite. Soap is an irritant to damaged skin.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Nanci
I get a little itchy, too, but I don't worry about it.

Nanci

Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
chiemi_chan
thank you all for the suggestions! should i be concerned about removing his teeth from my skin?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google