CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

is this true

Old 09-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #1
MentalMenace
is this true

hi i am now taking care of my first corn (baby) when i asked the shop staff if it was tame and she said no and she said it was deadly for the snake if i held it alot so i havent tried to pick it up or anything yet i just wanted to know is this true?

Old 09-10-2002, 12:19 PM   #2
Alicia
Define a lot. It can mean different things to different people. A guide line for handling would be 5-10 min 2-3 times a week to start with. Avoid handling for 48 hrs after feeding. As the snake gets older it will take to being held for longer periods of time. Gentle handling will help to calm your snake and get him/her used to you. Always give any new addition to your home time to settle in (at least 3 days) with little disturbance. This is just a guide line, you may decide that handling the snake once a week is good for you. It will also depend on your feeding schedule as to how much time you have for taking your new baby out. If you feed twice a week then time for handling will be less. Enjoy your corn snake.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
Neil
Handling itself cannot kill a snake. If you handle soon after eating then it may injure the snake but not kill it. Use Alicia's regime to get you going. Handling is not deadly but corns do need to have some quiet time- actually, quite a lot.

Old 09-10-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
Rainey
From what I've been told, it's best to wait a few days (at least 3) after you get your corn to hold it. i waited a week and it was so hard! I also waited till it had a bite to eat, then waited 48 hours. Now after holding her about 4 weeks, I hold her almost everyday for 20 mins (except after a feeding).

Rainey

Old 09-10-2002, 02:38 PM   #5
bmm
Pet Shops

Don't know crap

Normally the worst place for information about animals is a pet store sadly. It *should* be the other way around *sigh*

I agree with everyone else! Good advice .
bmm

Old 09-10-2002, 02:47 PM   #6
MentalMenace
thanks guys i will follow your advise starting from friday (i just fedd him today)ill put a pic on for you guys of littel neo thanks for all the help
Dan

Old 09-10-2002, 07:12 PM   #7
StevenWD
Corns in Classrooms

Corn snakes are one of the best snakes for children to handle, mainly because of their gentle disposition and that they don't typically deficate when held.

At the local elementary school, where my children attend, at least 6 teachers have corns in their rooms (four are offspring from my collection). These animals are held everyday by as many as 20 children, and some weary adults too. All of the snakes are thriving. They are not nervous and don't try to bolt when taken out of their enclosure. Several are more than 3 years old. One of my best breeders, and our family's first snake, spent a year as my son's kindergarten class mascot.

It would be very sad if people bought and cared for these exceptional animals just to look at them through the glass. So enjoy yours and hold them as often as you, and they, like.

Old 09-10-2002, 07:43 PM   #8
aintlikeitl00ks
woaw i didnt know that i carry my corn like an 45 min a day, it is tamed because it doesnt try to run, it doesnt strike, i likes t go around my neck and is very active and non agressive...

Old 09-10-2002, 10:17 PM   #9
bmm
well

i simply don't always agree with the "hold whenever you want" approach. For one, all snakes are different. Its nice that your school corns enjoy this but maybe a hatchling who hasn't even eaten yet most likely won't.

Not to mention, some hatchlings and even yearlings just do not like being held after food, during shed, etc. For first time owners especially, I would not say hold whenever you want. Snakes simply are not cats or dogs, and *some* not all, but some, stress out and end up with numerous other problems from being held to often. Including some of mine. I think what this pet store owner meant, was that holding to much at first can cause stress, which causes a failure to eat. She just went a little over board on the explanation is all *LOL* (the fatal part)

Its lucky the school corns are so willing!

bmm
All just my opinion!

Old 09-11-2002, 01:00 AM   #10
danz
OMG! I thought it read that the pet store staff told you it was a deadly species and to not handle it! I was spellbound.. Eeek Gads! Wheres me glasses!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google