CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

bedding

Old 05-04-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Traci
Question bedding

I have decided to try a bedding again. I had used some different types of wood shavings before for other small animals I had and some of them died due to dust being in the shavings. I use cage carpet right now but I was wanting my snake to have "more fun" burrowing. I was looking at forest bed and eco earth. They are a softer substrate than wood shavings and I thought may not be as dusty. Can anyone give me any advice on this subject? I am very wary of wood products now. Also when using a substrate such as this or wood shavings how often do you clean the cage and change the substrate? Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. This is a great site.

Old 05-04-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
louis
Eco Earth is fine. But Aspen shaving are the best. Well actually newspaper is the best but I understand what you want to hear. If you have allergys (like me) then you should probably go with the eco earth.

Old 05-04-2002, 11:02 AM   #3
Iris
Most people agree that aspen is the best. It is clean, smells nice, affordable, and not dusty and it is very safe for your snake.
I use shredded paper towels for now but soon I will be using aspen for my snake. You scoop out the poop asap and you can change the substrate completely about once a month. SOme people like to change it twice a month but it's too much work for me.

Old 05-05-2002, 11:58 AM   #4
pdrau
I use Repta-bark that is available from my friend's pet store. There is a little dust from being packaged, but I shake the bag until it settles to the bottom before I take out what I need. Once it is in the cage, it doesn't break down so dust is not a problem. it is easy to clean too as the poop adheres to it quite well. I use a set of kitchen tongs to grab the dirty pieces out. The repta-bark smells nice too. Even my daughter says that she loves the way it smells.

Peter

Old 05-05-2002, 08:47 PM   #5
Simon
I would just go for aspen and stay with aspen.

Aspen is very easy to clean and it's no harm for the snake even if it swallows some in when feeding your snake. (I feed mine out side the tank. In a container without aspen at all)

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google