• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Nikon P500

ShenziSixaxis

Sticking To The Ceiling
Anyone been able to use this or something very similar? I saw this in an add, noticed that it's capable of 36x zoom (holy ****!), and only 400 dollars. Go on Nikon's site, compare it to my L110, and I think I know what camera I want to upgrade to... :rofl:

Anyone have any comments? I'm looking at the official webpage for the camera and the sample photos, and holy crap... asksfjiehg-- freaking amazing.

I also like the rechargeable battery. The L110 takes AA batteries, which is a nice idea in theory, but mostly annoying if you don't go on trips a lot. And it has a "Continuous Shooting Options", which would be burst mode, right?

What's bothering me currently with the L110 is it doesn't take really close shots (which would be nice) without blurring it a bit or making it super bright; it doesn't take good pictures of things like skin up close without the flash washing it out; unless I use the flash, the camera takes like 2-4 seconds to take a picture, and even when I hold it as still as I can, most of the time it blurs noticeably; inside, I really have to play around to get the right lighting, as the flash can be over powering inside and without the flash, everything is yellowish.

So I'm wondering if this camera would make those problems a bit better?

If you're going to drop hundreds of dollars on a camera, get a DSLR. Even if you get an off brand one it's worth it, and your picture quality will be much better than a point and shoot. You'll have more control, more room to grow.. it'll be a long time before you're wishing for a new camera.

Just make sure you do as much research as you can within your price range before making your decision.

Unfortunately, with most DSLRs I've checked out, unless you want to get one, you're going to have to drop another few hundred for a lens or two, and most DSLRs also seem to have little to no zoom without another lens.

To be honest, you're not going to use that 36x zoom without a tripod.

If you're wanting to get something better than a point and shoot for working with animals, I really like my Panasonix Lumix fz-30. The zoom is on a ring around the lens, which is a million times better than that toggle bar on most non-DSLR cameras.

I got mine used on ebay. It's the first anywhere near decent camera I've ever had and I really like it. It's no DSLR, but like you, I couldn't afford that. And I like that it's a little more flexible than a DSLR in terms of having a macro setting without having to changes lenses. There were a number of times when a friend and I were taking photos of lizards in hand where my friend had to stand across the room because he didn't have the right lens with him at the time.

My dad's said we have tripods, as well as those mini ones (not sure what they're called), but every time I ask for one, he says he'll get it later and has said that for months. :blowhead:

While I want something that'll be good for animals, I'm looking for something that won't have the horrible problems I'm having with my L110, but also a few more features.

I'll check out Panasonic's cameras, but Nikon has a couple chains on me. :p

I went through and looked at a few more cameras and now don't really know what I want. :awcrap:

the whole BIG ZOOM thing is a gimmick.

it's true, you'll never, ever be able to get a clear shot hand-held with that much zoom. even on a tripod, you zoom in that much and you're going to have so much noise in the photo that you'll probably just delete it anyways.

stay away from cameras that claim big time zoom. you'd be way better off with a Nikon with an 18-55mm (standard kit lens). sure, you might not be able to zoom in as far, but even with the big zooms you won't get useable photos from them anyways.

the whole BIG ZOOM thing is a gimmick.

it's true, you'll never, ever be able to get a clear shot hand-held with that much zoom. even on a tripod, you zoom in that much and you're going to have so much noise in the photo that you'll probably just delete it anyways.

Agreed. My camera zooms much more than I actually use, because the whole digital zoom thing is pretty much useless.

yeah, i speak from experience. i've had probably 5 or 6 cameras with zoom like that and i don't think i've ever maxed the zoom out on one of them. it's just another "feature" you'll never use that they charge you big $ for.

You could pick up a used D40 body probably pretty cheap, and then get another decent lens. I bet you could get a used DSLR set up for ~$400. I agree with others, if you're spending that $$ get a DSLR. Plus as you can afford it, you can get additional lenses, etc so you can really get the shots you want.

That is the camera that we have and my wife loves it. Very simple controls. Takes great pics and I have zoomed out to 36x while at Disney, without a tripod, and had taken some nice photos. This also takes nice action and macro shots.

Nice Camera for the Price!

Wayne

*edit* The picture below is at 36x zoom with no tripod. We were all the way in the back of the crowd. I zoomed in for this, and many more pictures. I have made no alterations, with the exception of pixels, to this picture.

Attachments

• Disney 5 084.JPG
    Disney 5 084.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 52
^ Looks great. Do you have any close ups of reptiles inside?

You could pick up a used D40 body probably pretty cheap, and then get another decent lens. I bet you could get a used DSLR set up for ~$400. I agree with others, if you're spending that $$ get a DSLR. Plus as you can afford it, you can get additional lenses, etc so you can really get the shots you want.

I could only find it on Amazon for $375, and I actually was really straying away from the D40 because of the 6.1 MP; I use all the editing room that my L110's 12.1 gives me, especially if I'm editing something to use for my laptop's back-round without any stretching of the image.

^ Looks great. Do you have any close ups of reptiles inside?

Sure do!

Bonnie.png

clyde2.png

ClydePits.png

Wayne

checked out the nikon you were talking about. read a TON on it and read alot of reviews. in my opinion...for the price i dont think you will find a better camera. i am looking at the nikon d5100 also and it is incredible! but it is a dslr and costs around a grand(little less)...but for the $400 bucks for the one you mentioned, ide say well worth the money!!! i talked to a guy who has 4 dslrs(nikons and canons) and he recently bought one, and he loves it...he is a friend of mine who happens to be a professional photagrapher, this is how he makes his money, so i think this camera would be soooo worth the money! so if i cant swing the money to buy the d5100, im gonna buy the p500(i think is the model)

The Nikon Coolpix P500 is a nice camera. Has a lot of potential and we look forward to seeing what it would be capable of during my sons football season. Getting those action shots from across the field. We love the camera and would recommend it anyone.

Thanks

Wayne

Back