CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Substrate

Old 04-14-2002, 06:17 AM   #11
jim
sand as a substrate...

corny,
i've read that if you use sand as a substrate with snakes and you cage-feed they can ingest it and become impacted. the other big problem is the humidity. for substrate i use all god's creatures litter. it is a chipped hardwood substrate with no cedar or pine and very low dust. i think it is a little more expensive than cedar but i like it because it provides a firmer surface for the snake to crawl on while still being easy to burrow into.just thought i'd give my 1.5 cents. (due to inflation jim's opinion isn't quite worth what it once was) enjoy!!! ---jim

Old 04-14-2002, 03:04 PM   #12
Jr Nimeskern
thanks all for the advice... i just bought some aspen for my corns... i think theyll like it... how about the poop? with the sand... the poop is like a little bit liquid... and it runs all ova... will the aspen work good against it... and if it does obsorbe the poop... how much should i take out?

Old 04-14-2002, 03:05 PM   #13
Jr Nimeskern
oh and yes my burmese python is small shes only 4 ft. long but shes only like 4 months old...
what can i say cant wait till shes a giant

Old 04-14-2002, 07:49 PM   #14
Traci
carpet

I do not use any substrate. I have used different shavings for other animals I have had and I started using it for him, but there can be dust in them and I had an animal die due to the dust collecting in his lungs so I am afraid of using the stuff. I just use that reptile carpet. Is that ok? Thanks.

Old 04-14-2002, 08:09 PM   #15
Alicia
Cage Carpet

Cage carpet is good too. I use it under my Aspen so that my snakes can't lay directly on the uth. I just make sure I have xtras on hand that are clean when I clean cages. It's unfortunate when you have a bad experience, but I can honestly say that the Aspen I buy has very little dust. The snakes really like burrowing thru it and it gives them a place to hide and feel secure

Old 04-15-2002, 08:42 PM   #16
Jr Nimeskern
Ok I went out and bought some aspen... now i have just a few questions... when my snake poops will they usually do it on the top? or will they do it underneth the aspen? and how will i know if they pooped under there? i think im only goin to clean out the tank like every month... ill take out any poo that is on top... but will it be unsanitary? if I dont clean the bottom? cause that would be too much work to take out all the aspen sort it looking for all the poo... what do you think?

Old 04-15-2002, 08:48 PM   #17
nicky
well i use

Well like many people already said aspen works very well cuz it's cheap and snakes love to dig in it. I'd stay away from anything with cocanut or pine sand's ok but not for hatchlings cuz they might swollow it. I personally uses t-rex all oraginic bedding it's a dark brown soil which my corn loves to dig in it expands and is affordable all thoe i'm thinking of switching to aspen

Old 04-15-2002, 09:24 PM   #18
Kevin M
Corns can and will poop on top, in the middle at the bottom and just about anywhere else if given the chance. I suggest you check everyday (Or whatever your schedule may be) and "fluff" through it all. Its rather quick. The aspen bedding is light enough that you can spot the soiled parts rather quickly.

-Kev

Old 04-24-2002, 06:30 PM   #19
peteworrall
Thumbs up sand is ok

I have been keeping snakes and lizards for ten years or so. For the last few years I have been using normal sand (silver sand or playground sand) with no trouble. My snakes all shed OK, and the humidity issue does not seem to apply. They VERY occasionally sit in the water bowl for a day or so, which is fairly normal, and both eat really well.

To minimise ingestion of sand, I feed them both on a large flat rock in their tank. They will sometimes move off this when feeding, but this does not cause any problems.

I believe their wild habitats include sandy (semi-desert) regions, so I shouldn't worry too much about using sand. It's a lot cheaper than aspen (although I STILL don't know what aspen is...).

Cheers.

Pete

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google