CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

not happy

Old 11-11-2002, 08:11 PM   #1
former reader
Unhappy not happy

I choose to remain anomymous. I came to this 'free' site to gain knowledge. It has helped very much. I was upset by the notice about asking for donations in the context that was given. Rich you have made this a free site. If you need help start making this a paying site. It's your choice to even have this site. I probably will not visit here and there is no chance of me supporting you. I know the wording of this is horible to say the least. I am just so taken back.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
bmm
wow

I am surprised you are so mad about someone asking for donations. Geez. It takes hours of work to run a sucsessful forum, and asking for donations no matter how, is the least he could be asking. Charging for a paysite would lose the whole point of this free forum, and asking for slight help on the side doesn't seem like that much to me. Just MHO

bmm

Old 11-11-2002, 09:01 PM   #3
Ken Harbart
Rather sad to see that some people are in it merely for a "free ride", and when times get tough, they tuck their tail between their legs and refuse to help those who've helped them.

If you don't want to support the site, that's your prerogative, but don't whine about Rich asking for help with the costs of these sites. Your post shows how unappreciative you are.

By the way- you are not anonymous. Your IP address is logged on each and every post you make- including those you made before coming up with such a cute little pseudonym.

I do have one question for you though, "former reader"... If you feel so strongly about this, then why do lack the conviction & integrity to post using your real name?

Old 11-11-2002, 10:20 PM   #4
Axe
Re: not happy

Quote:
Originally posted by former reader
I choose to remain anomymous.
Haven't got the balls to say who you really are?

No matter, Rich will know who you are by your IP address

There's not really much to say that hasn't been said before. I support Rich by buying his snakes. I've gotten a few beauties from him in the past and plan on buying more in the future.

As soon as I can muster up some spare cash, I'll be donating to this site too. It's not compulsary to donate, but if you've been saved money by using this site, it's only fair to give something back, and it does cost Rich money to run this site.

It's ok for Rich to hand over his cash to pay for a site which you can use for free, but it's not ok for you to spend a little bit of money on something you've gained from?

I'm kind of upset by selfish conceited little pricks like you. You won't support Rich, but it's ok for him to support you, and your hobby, and your snakes' wellbeing?

Sorry for my language in this post, but some of these morons really piss me off sometimes.

Old 11-12-2002, 02:44 AM   #5
Cas
From what I understand, Rich started this site with the hope that when it got enough traffic, it would support itself through people buying banner ads. That didn't happen, so now he's looking for other ways to make this a self-sustaining site... and currently, that means donations. What exactly is your problem with that? It means that those who have the resources to give something back can, without excluding those who can't pay for a membership... or those who just found the site who have an 'emergency' they need help with... or all sorts of things.

I think this is far preferable than getting a notice of "okay, in 10 days this is becoming a pay access site... so pay up or you're out of luck".

Basically, it seems to me like you're complaining that you have the option not to pay for this site? Color me confused...

Dawn

Old 11-12-2002, 03:04 AM   #6
kenster
Quote:
Originally posted by Cas

Color me confused...

Ok Cas, I am looking through my box of crayons, and I am yet to come across the color confused....Must only be in the pack of 64

Ken

Old 11-12-2002, 03:09 AM   #7
kenster
Axe,
I agree with you 100%, it is a shame that people will complain about being asked to donate. (complain wasn't the word i had in mind but it had to be user friendly though) And you're right if someone had the balls to post this message in the first place they should have had the balls to attach a name to it. But it is so easy to hide behind your keyboard though. And of course the IP address is logged and Rich does know who it belongs to. I don't think it is right for Rich to pay out of his pocket for us to come here and read a million things post a million questions and of course show off our wonderful snakes. But of course everyone is always looking for a "free ride" and that is too bad....

Ken

Old 11-12-2002, 08:38 AM   #8
whiffin
Rich obviously puts a lot of work in, but running a web site does cost money. It's unfair of us to expect Rich to make a loss when we are the ones who benefit.

The site STILL is free, Rich has just asked for donations (which are completely voluntary) so that he doesn't make a loss. He isn't asking money for his time, and will not be making a profit. What's the problem with that? He could ask for a lot more!

If you believe in what you are saying, why hide under a new username?

It amazes me that someone can be as ungrateful as yourself

Old 11-12-2002, 03:06 PM   #9
Ricky_S
I think it's a shame that Rich has been forced to ask for donations, of course, but I will still try and help him out. The only problem is, I can't use Popex, so don't know how. Of course, I could always send him a cheque through the post.
What is more of a shame is people like you you have benefitted by this site and yet are unwilling to make a donation, and even complain, as if it were your right to free access. It's not. Rich has provided this site out of his own money, time and effort, and it's the least we can to to help him out so he isn't forced to close the site

Old 11-12-2002, 03:27 PM   #10
Tim Madsen
Personally I think Rich should start charging for the classified ads and give Kingsnake.com some competition. $20 a year might be a good starting point. IMHO

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google