CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Question about heating

Old 04-25-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
monna62
Question Question about heating

I have been reading about heating for my new corn snake. I am getting his/her new home ready now, and I will purchase him/her in June. I know I need an under the tank heater, but do I also need a dome light for on top of the aquarium, for heat/light? Also, is it ok to use the reptile carpeting I see advertized in petsmart? Or do I need to stick to reptile bark? I have a 20 gal. High aquarium for his/her home, I hope this will be large enough for him/her. Will I need to purchase a larger tank when he is an adult? I already had the 20 gal High tank on hand, I just need to purchase a screen top. Are these screen tops secure enough for a snake? I know I have a lot of questions, I just want to have everything ready, and correct for my new pet. I have always loved snakes, and nature, I have just never kept a pet snake. I would appreciate any help, and advice you can give me, and I will continue to read and learn. Thank you!
Monna~~enjoying the great outdoors!

Old 04-25-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
StevesBro
Re: Question about heating

a 20 gallon long would work, im not sure the diminsions of the 20H but im sure it would be good for a while, maybe to adult hood. Im not using an UTH for my corns aquarium now, just a light above that keeps it about 85 on one side and 78 on the other.. mine is a standard 20 gallon.

When you get a screen top, make sure it wont flex up when the snake pushes on it. Most aquariums have a rim where small snakes sometimes climb onto, and poke around looking for anywhere to get out. if you can, get rid of that, fill it with something, not sure what, maybe someone else knows

Old 04-25-2002, 06:21 PM   #3
Iris
Most people (and snakes) do just fine with just an undertank heater. If you'd like, you can use a dome light instead but this lowers the humidity and it is stressful to some snakes to constantly have light shining in their tank. You could switch the light off at night and plug in the heat pad but it is much more of a hassle. A heat pad will be just fine. Make sure it reaches somewhere in the 80's (ºF) but not past the 90's (I think that's around the correct temp. values)
Aspen seems pretty much the most popular substrate because it is pleasing to the eye and also easy to clean. I use paper towels. I can't tell you about reptile bark or carpet because I don't have any experience but I do think I have heard that the carpet things are annoying to clean.
You should probably buy screen top locks so that your snake will not be able to push the screen up and make his escape. If you are buying a hatchling, (s)he will probably not be able to reach the top of the tank but still..it is better to have them than not. If you can't find locks that fit your tank and screen, an encyclopedia on each corner does the trick just as well. It doesn't look as pretty though.
The 20 gal should probably be ok for your future snake for its whole life. I have mine in a 15 gallon right now and he is probably going to be living in that for a while until I get a big rubbermaid tub.
Best of luck with your corn! You probably won't be satisfied with just one..(just a little warning!)

Old 04-25-2002, 06:22 PM   #4
monna62
Smile Thanks

That is great, I will try using just the dome light, first. Later if the temp doesn't stay warm enough I will get the UTH. I will see about filling the space you talked about. What about silicone? or some kind of calking? Is this toxic? Does anyone know about the reptile carpet? Or do I need to get the bark? Thanks again! I am new at posting so bear with me

Old 04-25-2002, 06:26 PM   #5
Jr Nimeskern
Ive heard that you should use a 20gal Long for a adult corn... this gives them enough room to stretch out... Im not a expert at corns... Ive only had mine for about 1 month but I use to keep a UTH and a dome light for mine... But I dont think this is necissary... where are you keeping the corn??? In the house where its warm? It dont really matter about the light issue just as long as its warm in the aquarium... If you are keeping it in the house then I would say get just a UTH put it to one side of the tank this would give it the choice of choosing the warm side of the tank or the warmer side of the tank... Just as long as your house isnt cold then the corn should be fine... corns are the most adaptable snakes I have ever seen... they dont really need much to survive...

PS this doesnt mean that they cant die!

Old 04-25-2002, 06:27 PM   #6
monna62
Thumbs up Thanks Iris

I think I will purchase the UTH after all, you are right, I wouldn't want to keep the light on all the time, just didn't think of that. I will try to find the locks for the screen as well. We have a nice local pet shop, and she tries to get me what I want, but she does not deal in snakes, other reptiles, but not snakes. Don't know why? I like her though. Thanks again!

Old 04-25-2002, 06:32 PM   #7
monna62
Smile Thanks Corny

Hi, yes the house is where I am keeping him, and we have central heating. I keep the house at 72 deg. so I will have to keep the aquarium warmer. I am getting a hatchling snake in June. I cant hardly wait! I have wanted to do this for a long time.
Monna~~ enjoying the great outdoors!

Old 04-25-2002, 08:17 PM   #8
kellum
I've been planning my new snake for a long time also. I think you have gotten some good advice. I plan to use an UTH, aspen bedding & two hides. You mentioned PetSmart, they have these little metal clamps to hold your tank lid on, I plan on getting four of them. This will allow extra clips on the long sides to keep the lid from flexing an allowing an escape (I hope).
I'm gonna try to get a near yearling at a show in May.

Good luck with your snake!
Keith

Old 04-25-2002, 08:22 PM   #9
jim
monna,
if you use both the uth and the lamp closely watch the temp and humidity for a few days before you get your corn. it'seasy to cook a baby corn with both on at the same time as temp and humidity will fluctuate during the day. if using both keep it to a maximum of a 40-60 watt bulb. i've been warned off of the repti-carpets both for the hassle of cleaning and because it has a tendency to trap moisture and heat beneath it. if you are not careful you can have some really funky things growing beneath it in no time. good luck... jim

Old 04-25-2002, 08:53 PM   #10
monna62
Thank you all :)

Hi, Thanks for all the good advice. Yes I will be careful to watch the temp. I think I will stick with the bark after all. I don't want any funky bacteria growing under my snakes I have been surfing the net for information and this is the best place yet for info. Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google