CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Flex Watt Heat Tape

Old 05-07-2002, 05:26 PM   #1
monna62
Question Flex Watt Heat Tape

Hi, does anyone know if the flex watt heat tape is a good product? I saw it at Big Apple Herpetological, under heating. I would appriciate any information you may have about this product. Thank you

Old 05-07-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
jim
flex-watt

monna,
i think that is pretty much what most people use. i don't even know of any other brand of heat tape. it's fairly easy to set up so i don't think that you'll be disappointed. good luck!!! ---jim

Old 05-08-2002, 04:20 AM   #3
Warren
Hey Monna,

Just a word of caution. When using a heat source like this to heat your tank make sure to create a little space between the tape and the tank itself!! If this space is not made than the heat can build up to dangerous levels.

L8r,
wc

Old 05-08-2002, 07:40 AM   #4
monna62
Thumbs up Thanks Jim and Warren

I will buy this product, any ideas how to creat a space between the glass and the heat tape? Is this what you meant? There is about a 1/2 to 1 inch space between the stand and the tank, created by the tank itself. I don't know how this product fits onto the tank, does it stick, or how? I have only seen pictures of this product.
Also, I have a question about another product, same company. It is called Bed A Beast. They say it is fine for corn snakes. I just wanted to know if anyone has used it. Is it dusty, or is it ok? Just saw it and wondered if it was really ok for corns. Thank you for all you help.

Old 05-08-2002, 11:35 AM   #5
Darin Chappell
Monna,

Also, you need to make sure that you have some sort of accurate control for your heat tape. A rheostat is what many people use, but I don't trust them. I use an actual thermostat that I got from Big Apple Herp. It's twice the cost of the rheostat, but since you can use it for multiple sections of heat tape, the cost is more than acceptable overall.

To attach heat tape, you need to simple apply a non-conductive adhesive to the surface you want to use it on. Big Apple sells foil tape that works very well.

Have fun -- Darin

Old 05-08-2002, 12:55 PM   #6
monna62
Thanks Darin!

I will do that, I saw the foil, and the thermostates. And I will get the thermostate if that is better. Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2002, 02:57 AM   #7
Warren
Monna,

You said there is a half inch to an inch of space between the stand and the tank. That should be fine for what you want.

L8r,
wc

Old 05-09-2002, 07:10 AM   #8
monna62
Thanks Warren

So there does not have to be a space between the glass and the heat tape? Just under the tank? Or I could even rase the tank a bit to allow air flow under the tank if it gets too hot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google