CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

"Moderator Campaign "Speech"" reply (of sorts)

Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Cornsnake124
"Moderator Campaign "Speech"" reply (of sorts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
My fellow Cornsnakes.com-ians,
I would like to begin my campaign for your votes for the open moderator position. While I'm not going to make any obscene promises like free funnel cakes, free snakes, etc. (except for in jest), I will make, and uphold, these promises if elected.

I promise to moderate with a fair fist. In order to fulfill this promise, I have to eliminate any preconceived notions I have of a few members, and view all members with an unbiased eye. This is a something I feel that I am more than capable of doing.

I would also like to promise to help relieve some of the workload of the current moderators, and not inadvertently create more work for them by having them overturn bad decisions. To do this, I will have to take into mind the debates/arguments on the site so far and keep in my head "What Would Susan/Dean/Jeff Do?". I think the three of them have been doing a wonderful job of keeping the trolls and arguments in line on the site, and I would have three excellent role models and mentors available as an exemplary guideline.

My final promise would be to make our current moderators proud. I believe I can live up to their expectations by fulfilling my first two promises. I know I can live up to the prestigious position the current moderators have created.

In short, I know I can be an asset to the team not only because of the amount of time I am able to spend on here, but in that I can moderate with an unbiased eye to help relieve the current moderator workload.

Thank you, everyone, for your time and consideration.
Since I am running for mod (but i don't expect to win mind you), I have decided to make a little speech, similar to what Robbie did. (hence the "reply")
I will list my views on hot button issues of the forums.

Trolls: I think that if said troll was proven beyond repair, a perma-ban should be put in place immediately.

Infractions: No new infractions. Thats it. What we have in place is just fine.

Panda's and other random pictures: I am anti-panda and random pictures. If it does not pertain to the thread, I find the pictures a hindrance to reading the thread as they just make it harder to follow. I believe that a 3 strikes your out rule should be put into effect. If more than 3 pictures of panda's or completely random pictures with nothing to do with the thread are posted in a thread, the thread will be locked indefinitely.

Spam: I don't think its much of an issue since our mods already take very good care of this, but its still an issue.
I think that any instance of confirmed spam should result in an immediate perma-ban. All threads or posts of such nature should also be deleted. If said spammer posts the thread or post in a members personal forum, the moderators cannot delete or moderate the post. I believe that the owner of said forum should be contacted immediately to delete the post or thread in question.

Mod controversies: I believe that mods should be held accountable the smae way any other forum member is. There should be no exception because of there status. If they break a rule, they should have an infraction.
I think that if a mod takes a personal stance in a thread and is debating in it (especially in political threads) that the said mod should not moderate the said thread, because they could use there powers against other people in the thread and could use them to advance there views in the thread.

General info:

I think I would be a good candidate because I do not swear on the forum, I never post anything obscene or something that would break the rules, I have never posted panda's, and I hold no strong grudges against any members.

Please, vote Cornsnake124 this Cornsnake.com voting season. Thank you.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
LBoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsnake124 View Post
I am anti-panda and random pictures.
For this reason alone you just lost my vote, but best of luck.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Roy Munson
You're a good kid, David. I like you. But
my own vote will be cast for someone who has enough years here (3+ years, at least) to have a feel for the forum.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Cornsnake124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
For this reason alone you just lost my vote, but best of luck.
Than you support the panda's? May I ask why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
You're a good kid, David. I like you. Buy my own vote will be cast for someone who has enough years here (3+ years, at least) to have a feel for the forum.
I think your mistaken..... My real name is Edmond, A.K.A Edy. The only david on here that I can think of is mister Snakemaster. But thanks for the props anyway!

On a side note, do you support Robbie. I would guess not, because the basis of your vote would exclude him, as I know that he has been on here 4 months shorter than Me. Just pointing it out.....

Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Carinata
Quote:
Since I am running for mod (but i don't expect to win mind you), I have decided to make a little speech, similar to what Robbie did. (hence the "reply")
I will list my views on hot button issues of the forums.

Trolls: I think that if said troll was proven beyond repair, a perma-ban should be put in place immediately.

Infractions: No new infractions. Thats it. What we have in place is just fine.

Panda's and other random pictures: I am anti-panda and random pictures. If it does not pertain to the thread, I find the pictures a hindrance to reading the thread as they just make it harder to follow. I believe that a 3 strikes your out rule should be put into effect. If more than 3 pictures of panda's or completely random pictures with nothing to do with the thread are posted in a thread, the thread will be locked indefinitely.

Spam: I don't think its much of an issue since our mods already take very good care of this, but its still an issue.
I think that any instance of confirmed spam should result in an immediate perma-ban. All threads or posts of such nature should also be deleted. If said spammer posts the thread or post in a members personal forum, the moderators cannot delete or moderate the post. I believe that the owner of said forum should be contacted immediately to delete the post or thread in question.

Mod controversies: I believe that mods should be held accountable the smae way any other forum member is. There should be no exception because of there status. If they break a rule, they should have an infraction.
I think that if a mod takes a personal stance in a thread and is debating in it (especially in political threads) that the said mod should not moderate the said thread, because they could use there powers against other people in the thread and could use them to advance there views in the thread.

General info:

I think I would be a good candidate because I do not swear on the forum, I never post anything obscene or something that would break the rules, I have never posted panda's, and I hold no strong grudges against any members.

Please, vote Cornsnake124 this Cornsnake.com voting season. Thank you.
I hate to say this BUT I think you really don't need to be running. You are in school right? Do you have time to manage a huge site like this? And Robbie may have been here shorter than you but he is a great member with TONS of experience! Robbie has my vote

Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Roy Munson
I get you two mixed-up-- only because of user names. I apologize to the bottom of my being. I'm so sorry.

But since I have veto power, I should tell you that neither you nor David will be selected.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Dinah
I like Lboz also support the Panda's actually this is the first I have heard that they are controversial. Since you asked a different poster why, I assume you are interested in hearing feedback so I will take a second and give my opinions on why.

I think that at times when a thread gets heated a bit of levity can do wonders for everyone involved. Also per the site rules they seem to be allowed. Maybe you are proposing a change to those rules as part of your platform, but to me the current rules seem fair where as a rule regarding pandas seems to be going in the direction of censoring harmless posts just because they anyone a person or maybe a few people. I freely admit that being new I could be wrong or in the minority about any/all of this.

Now I am not planning to base my vote on an issue like pandas, and being new I don't know if who I would vote for or why even matters but, I do think that if you are serious about your run for mod, then you are at least interested in hearing feedback from members and what they think so that is why I am sharing this with you.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
toyah
Quote:
Panda's and other random pictures: I am anti-panda and random pictures. If it does not pertain to the thread, I find the pictures a hindrance to reading the thread as they just make it harder to follow.
I have to say that it annoys me when threads just turn into random panda (or other) photos. As a hardcore lurker, who reads every post on this site but post infrequently, I do agree with Dean's use of his veto powers though

Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
LBoz
Quote:
Than you support the panda's? May I ask why?
You may, and my reason for supporting pandas is that it's the members' way of bringing a halt to threads that have gone beyond "off topic" to the point of hostility. It's become a running joke and a way that members have found to self-police the forum. How can someone NOT like pandas????

Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Cornsnake124
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
I hate to say this BUT I think you really don't need to be running. You are in school right? Do you have time to manage a huge site like this? And Robbie may have been here shorter than you but he is a great member with TONS of experience! Robbie has my vote
Even though i have a very busy life you would be expected how much time I spend on this site...

I never said that Robbie was better. I was just pointing out to Dean that if that was the only platform counting me out it should also be applied to Robbie. I never said he was a better candidate.

Quote:
But since I have veto power, I should yell you that neither you nor David will be selected.
So that means that even if I am voted in by the popular vote of the users (not saying I will mind everybody) I can still be denied the position?

Quote:
I like Lboz also support the Panda's actually this is the first I have heard that they are controversial.
I saw a couple people in the application thread for nominating yourself saying that panda's were contrivertial so I thought I would just cover them so that it was complete.

Quote:
I think that at times when a thread gets heated a bit of levity can do wonders for everyone involved. Also per the site rules they seem to be allowed. Maybe you are proposing a change to those rules as part of your platform, but to me the current rules seem fair where as a rule regarding pandas seems to be going in the direction of censoring harmless posts just because they anyone a person or maybe a few people. I freely admit that being new I could be wrong or in the minority about any/all of this.

Now I am not planning to base my vote on an issue like pandas, and being new I don't know if who I would vote for or why even matters but, I do think that if you are serious about your run for mod, then you are at least interested in hearing feedback from members and what they think so that is why I am sharing this with you.
That does get me thinking... Because i think that the sight rules are just fine the way they are also. Partly, its a personal view. I am not saying that it would be a running platform to end all panda's... I just think that if panda's became a serious problem, that would be the way to go. The main thing im saying is, that usually when the panda's come out, the thread is not worth leaving open. Thinking about it, I would like to retract my proposal about panda's for the time being because it clashes with two different agenda's that I have and I need to think it over...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google