CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

"Moderator Campaign "Speech"" reply (of sorts)

Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Cornsnake124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
You may, and my reason for supporting pandas is that it's the members' way of bringing a halt to threads that have gone beyond "off topic" to the point of hostility. It's become a running joke and a way that members have found to self-police the forum. How can someone NOT like pandas????
Basically the reply I would give to this would be the one I gave to Dinah. The main thing is, if the panda's are posted, isn't the thread worth just closing?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
How can someone NOT like pandas????
I like pandas a lot, but I don't like pictures of them in threads that aren't about pandas. This could be because my first experience with them was when they were used as interruptions in threads that I was very engaged in and that I didn't think were in any way out of control. I have also not noticed that they are particularly efficacious at re-orienting threads that ARE out of control. They, like any joke, are funny only in moderation and if they are well played. This critical element of humorous humor, in my evaluation, is completely lost on a lot of panda-ers.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsnake124 View Post
Spam: I don't think its much of an issue , but its still an issue.

This boy has a future in politics.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Cornsnake124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
This boy has a future in politics.
not quite sure what you mean... Do you mean that I sidestepped the point? or is it a compliment about my abilities? My guess is, both.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
Roy Munson
16 is too young to be a mod here. No hard feelings, but you shouldn't waste any more effort.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
LBoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
But
my own vote will be cast for someone who has enough years here (3+ years, at least) to have a feel for the forum.
I have to ditto this, even as much as I like and respect all the running candidates. It's the rare exception that I'd allow someone with less than two years experience to mod on my own forum, and I don't have 1/4 the traffic this place has.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
Dinah
Just to note, I am not trying to persuade you one way or another I just wanted to share my thoughts...really I am too new for most people to even care about my opinions and rightly so since my experience is limited it may not be totally valid. Certainly I think that anyone running for mod is concerned and cares about the direction of the site and the opinions of its users so I was just putting my opinions out there for consideration.

My actual vote will be based on a number of things the least of which are panda's. Friendliness, knowledge, experience, availability, levelheadedness, their speech, my personal instincts about them if I have had time to get to know them yet, quality of advice they provide, whether or not they provide said advice in respectful ways, ability to be levelheaded, how long they have been on this site, how they are perceived by other members, as well as a whole list of other things that could take forever to name but those are the big issues that I would be looking for.

I see that some people have issues with you running due to a variety of reasons, but if you truly believe that helping cs is something that you want to do, then I would say cool. Even if you don't win this time by taking the time to listen to the feed back that everyone gives you, you may be able to learn and improve so that you can make yourself a better candidate for future elections. Not that I am saying you are a bad candidate ( I have definitely not been here long enough to judge anyone as bad). You yourself said you were not expecting favorable results so I just wanted to offer that bit of advice for the future if this time doesn't work for you.

I am interested in reading all of the reasons why the different people are running for mod, if for no other reason than because it gives me a chance to get to know those people who are bravely putting themselves up for consideration.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
Cornsnake124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
16 is too young to be a mod here. No hard feelings, but you shouldn't waste any more effort.
I personally disagree, but that might be a conflict of interest... I respect your desision to veto an election of myself.

I just want it clarified... Would I be on the ballot or not? because even if I don't have a chance I slightly want to probe support for future elections.

Quote:
Just to note, I am not trying to persuade you one way or another I just wanted to share my thoughts...
You didn't persuade me, your post just opened my eyes to a part of the panda posting that I did not see.

Quote:
Even if you don't win this time by taking the time to listen to the feed back that everyone gives you, you may be able to learn and improve so that you can make yourself a better candidate for future elections.
Exactly!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
torsten
3 years eh? I guess I'll have to go and nominate myself then

Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsnake124 View Post
Mod controversies: I believe that mods should be held accountable the smae way any other forum member is. There should be no exception because of there status. If they break a rule, they should have an infraction.
I think that if a mod takes a personal stance in a thread and is debating in it (especially in political threads) that the said mod should not moderate the said thread, because they could use there powers against other people in the thread and could use them to advance there views in the thread.
I just want to know why you think the moderators are currently above the rules? Trust me, the only reason they do not receive official infractions is that the working system of the forum does not permit it. When mods are personally involved in a particular thread, they generally do not moderate it unless it is an obvious violation. And the mods get their share of warnings and "infractions" behind the scenes. No moderator has EVER abused their power in order to gain personal advantage in any situation and I personally resent the implication.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google