CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Worried about heating

Old 03-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #1
Lo_la
Worried about heating

Hello everyone,

I live in the UK and the weather here is about 37f, which naturally can get even colder during the night. The temperature in my snake's vivarium reads at 60f which (as i've read) is too cold for my snake. I already placed some heat mats covering about 1/3 of the tank, but I was wondering if that would be enough, or if I needed to take extra measures to increase the heat slightly in my viv.

(If I need to do this could I please have some advice on how to safely increase the temperature as I'm a first time snake owner and still learning the basics).

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
it's cold where I live too. I have heat pads under the entire cage.

1 of the heat pads (the warm side) stays at about 85 degrees all the time. On the other side of the cage (the cool side) I also have heat pads set to 74 degrees. If the temp is above 74 degrees these pads don't even activate. But on the really cold days if the temp in the house dips, then these pads will activate to keep the cool side at 74.

Having said all that, I also have a heater in my house. I don't allow the house temp to get to 60f as you do in your house. Perhaps you need to increase your house temp a bit. If your house temp increases, so will the temp in the snake's cage. People that choose to keep snakes should know reptiles require heat (more so than we humans). If you regularly allow your house to get that cold, then perhaps a snake is not the best pet for you.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Lo_la
I followed your advice by increasing the temperature in my house and he appears to be doing better (instead of curling up in one part of the viv he seems more curious and moves around a lot more).

I also agree with what you said about how keeping a snake may not be a good idea if my house regularly dips in temperature, so I'll make sure not to let it get too low. Again, thank you for helping me. (I really appreciate it)

Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Seaweedthesnake
Just to add... I’m not sure how your heating works but if you can just set the heat appropriately in the room where the snake’s enclosure is that should be just fine.

I prefer my house a bit cooler and for the sake of the bills it helps to keep the heat down in most of it but the thermostat in my room where my snakes are is always set to 70 minimum usually 75 and that seems to do the trick to keep their cool ends from being too cool!

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
corn_snake_lover
what size of tank you have?you might want to invest on a heat emitter or incandescent bulb to keep the rest of the vivarium warmer ussually 75 in the cold end is fine and 80 in the middle and the warmer area 85 the vivarium electronic thermostats are great the 200 d works well with incadescent bulbs and heat emitters

Old 04-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
DeuceRon
Since I'm new at this, I can only tell you what I have done and not what I know. My snake really spends most of his time up high in the plastic plants. So for that, I use a red bulb in the day and ceramic heater at night.
Very rarely does he go to the bottom of the tank and when he does, he buries himself in the aspen on the cool side. Not once has he used his hide. I do have a heat pad on the warm side, but it's off right now. In the fall, I'll purchase one of those temperature regulators for the heat mat, but for, he seems to be okay.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
corn_snake_lover
Cool I only had my snake for almost 3 months she's going on her 2nd shed I just being keeping temps 75 to 85 and she thermoregulates the only part where is 85 is on a basking area I got she only goes there after eating other times she usually stats where is 77 degrees my snake lot of the times is in her hide,if you snake is on top she's probably cold and when they burrow probably too hot

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google