• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2 Lifers

tyflier

[Insert Witty Commentary]
Went out tonight in hopes of finding a lifer Mojave Patchnose, and was successful. I';ve seen 5 or 6 DOR, and one live one that I never got a picture of or even touched. Toinight I caught a nice Juvenile.

patchnose.jpg

I must say he lived up to his reputation by striking, lunging and biting me more times than I could count. He was fun. Sorry the pictures aren't better, but really...if I would have let go of his tail, he would have been gone quicker than my camera could have focused and fired.

I also came across a Great Basin Collared Lizard. I have seen one before, I think, but the photos were crap and I was too far away to positively ID it. So this one counts...

collared-lizard.jpg

Anyhow...Had a good night tonight. Thanks for coming along!

Once again, some gorgeous Pics!! That pic of the collared lizzard is great!

Without trying to hijack this thread, any luck on the dealings with your car?

Wayne

sorry for the dumb question, but what does the term "lifers" mean?

It's actually a vague term that field herpers use, and often means different things to different people. For me, a lifer is any snake or reptile that I have been actively seeking, but haven't found. I do not count dead snakes or snakes that I canot interact with, such as photographing, hooking, holding or whatever. Different people keep track of and count different animals.

Most people that engage in "observation collecting", like bird watchers, whale watchers, herpers, etc. have a mental "tick list" of the animals they would like to find. This is a "Lifer List", and as you find them, you mentally check them off the list.

Both of these animals are ones taht I interacted with for the first time last night. I've seen both alive in the past but for one reason or another they didn;t eet my "criteria" to be called a lifer until last night.

Very nice! I've only seen one Mojave Patchnose and it was in the Las Vegas area. That snake gave quite a chase, but I managed to catch it and get a few photos. It's always nice to find a "lifer," but something as unique as a Patchnose makes the experience even nicer.

bigpatch.jpg

Back