CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

"House Herping"... Alligator Lizard pics!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
Floof
"House Herping"... Alligator Lizard pics!

This little cutie crept into my house sometime Thursday night, and showed up the next morning by Man Ray the Beardie's floor-level tank. I haven't a clue WHAT inspired it to plant itself next to a brightly lit aquarium, mere inches from a lizard plenty big enough to eat it in two bites, with three slumbering dogs and myself on its other side... It must just not be very smart. Not too far-fetched, since it already has its fair share of scars and a dropped tail. Lol. It crawled under the pellet stove, and an hour later I went back into the room to find it sitting next to Man Ray's tank. Again. Lol! Anyway, I went ahead and released it.. Though, don't get me wrong, it DID cross my mind to just keep it. Northern Alligator Lizards are my favorite!! This exact same scenario (only caught in a bathroom) is exactly what got me into herps nearly two years ago... Lol! =)

Okay, long-winded tale of excitement over. Now for the pictures I know you all came for.

All of these were taken outside with my crappy point-and-shoot.

Size comparison shot! Kind of. Tub lid is no more than 5 inches across.

Isn't his face so CUTE??

Tail stub close-up...

Look! He finally got the idea... He spent the entire photoshoot trying to head for the wall of the house. This one was taken with flash...

Thanks for reading!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
The_Thunderer
LOL. What a great story! I'd better start checking out my beardie tank and snake closet more often. With you and your alligator lizard and another CS.com member with a wild snake by their snake viv, I never know what I'll find.

And you're right - with that face it would have been hard NOT to keep! Thanks for sharing, Taylor!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
diamondlil
What a cute little lizard!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
Floof
Thanks, Fred and Janine!

Lol, Fred, that's not a bad idea... Especially since Arizona has PLENTY more herps than Washington...

AND...

You wouldn't believe who I found downstairs as I headed for bed tonight. With his head stuck out from underneath the beardie's old playpen (I've been very lazy in NOT collapsing it, since I no longer use it). He seems a little larger, but that might be just me, 'cause... I SWEAR... This is the SAME lizard! Scars, tail stub, and all... Lol. Methinks he wants to be a pet!!! =)

Anyway, I snapped some pics just now, but I have to go to bed so I can go to school tomorrow, so the fiasco that is editing, uploading, and posting has to wait. I'll be releasing him sometime tomorrow, and I'll try to get better pics at the same time (including a couple with the same tub lid).

Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
The_Thunderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floof View Post
You wouldn't believe who I found downstairs as I headed for bed tonight. With his head stuck out from underneath the beardie's old playpen (I've been very lazy in NOT collapsing it, since I no longer use it). He seems a little larger, but that might be just me, 'cause... I SWEAR... This is the SAME lizard! Scars, tail stub, and all... Lol. Methinks he wants to be a pet!!! =)

Anyway, I snapped some pics just now, but I have to go to bed so I can go to school tomorrow, so the fiasco that is editing, uploading, and posting has to wait. I'll be releasing him sometime tomorrow, and I'll try to get better pics at the same time (including a couple with the same tub lid).
HILARIOUS!!!!! I can't wait to see pics.

Now, you know, if you release him again and find him AGAIN by your beardie tank or something that smells beardie...

... that he's in love with your beardie!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Floof
LOL! What's this make? 3 times that he's been attracted to beardie-things? That's LOVE, baby!

I let him go this morning on the OTHER side of the front yard... And, lo and behold, he's tame! He didn't flee, bite, or musk one bit when I picked him up this morning.. Just held on with his cute little claws. =) I'd post pics now, but, go figure, the school computers don't have memory card ports...

Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Nanci
He wants to be a pet!! I found two anoles in with Isabel at different times. I'm sure they rode in on plants that I brought in not to freeze.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
The_Thunderer
LOL. If he shows up again, you'll probably want to have a shotgun ready... He'll be there to ask for your beadies claw in marriage.

PLUS he's probably thinking... "Free food, warmth, an occasional handling... why live outside where I can be EATEN!"

Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Floof
Now comes the question, Is the 'gator lizard gay, or just a really horny female...?

Lol, Nanci! I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this happen...

The fun part is it's the SAME lizard. It's a shame I'm so paranoid about breaking stupid little laws like that. I'm sure he'd LOVE it at my house!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Floof
Pics, finally! The ones with paper towel were taken this morning, without were last night.

The last pic is one from the first capture, for comparison. Tell me that's NOT the same lizard, I dare you!

Enjoy! =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google