CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Lava corn

Old 01-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
carol
Lava corn

Thanks to Joe P. for this one. I'll try to breed him to this bloodred female (older pic) this year.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Edmund
Wow, they are both beautiful! I'd love to see a Lava bloodred.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
Wow, they are both beautiful! I'd love to see a Lava bloodred.
I am sure that you meant Magma Corn. That naming thread will be a HOT one.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
Thanks to Joe P. for this one. I'll try to breed him to this bloodred female (older pic) this year.
This combo was meant to be. I have two pair of Het Lava Bloods and Mike P has a pair. They are poss het Anery A, so we may see some Avalanche Corns soon too.

I know a good thing when I see it. Ice Bloods or Avalanche Corns. That will be a wicked thread!

Carol, Your snakes and planned breedings are awesome!

Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
carol
Sorry Serp for my mistake!
Ya, Magma, Avalanche, "Diamond" ! The only way people will be able to keep up is to get an updated genetics book every 3 months!
I really don't mean to be a pain in the naming threads, but I think a lot of people are failing to look up ahead of things and see the oncoming train wreck. When I try to understand morphs and genetics of non-corn species, it is very frustrating when there is no common thread or "key" in the names. It makes things much more difficult and that is coming from someone who enjoys genetics and biology. We have already learned that originally, jumping to the name "Bloodred", ended up being a big mistake and is still causing problems. Although I still stand that it causes less problems than changing the name all together. With that lessson learned, why are we continuing to make the same mistakes.
Corn genetics are overwhelming enough! Now we are going to have add a new name to our list on a monthly bases. Maybe we should start a poll on which morph will be the next one that is in dire need of a name change. I guess we will find out in a month or so.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
ecreipeoj
Serp is innocent again. I am behind the name “Diamond” Corn. I think people are taking suggested names and feeling that they are trying to be coined and forced upon people. To me it is a fun game, that adds to our hobby and a way to test the water. “Magma” Corns do not exist yet except in my head, but neither does Lava Bloods.

A Diamond Corn does exist. It is a Lava Charcoal so now you know what it is. If the common name of Diamond Corns catches on, in a couple of years it will translate in your head immediately to Lava Charcoal, just like a Snow Corn does. Ice Charcoal, and Ice Diamond Corns are also possibilities. (Ice = Lava, Diamond = Charcoal, Cold = Hot, (Antonyms). One of these or another will become time tested, or Lava Charcoals it will be, but that will be a Common name and Genetic name all rolled up in the same package.

There are always two sides to just about everything in life. Some people are on the extremes of both sides, but the majority of people are somewhere in between. When I look back on the evolution of our hobby, we have always used Trade names and Genetic names.

There are not that many genetic names for people to learn. I don’t see why people think a new person interested in our hobby is going to be more or less confused by trade names verse genetic names. They will either want to learn about it or not. The Trade names will be learned right along with the genetic names or they won’t bother. If you search the web and find just about any Corn Snake listing, such as a Ghost Corn, (Trade Name), there will be a description of its appearance and the genetic make up of a Ghost Corn right there in front of you. The same is true in books and on most price list.

A common argument is there will be more explaining to do at trade shows or to new customers. BULL! I have done more trade shows than I can possibly remember and sold a few snakes to new people in the hobby. When I tell them that the Corn Snake they are looking at is a Hypomelanistic Anerythristic A Corn Snakes, they look at you like you are speaking Latin, and are immediately intimidated or think I am a big show off. When I tell them the Corn Snake is a Ghost Corn, we are talking on a level they can understand and the mood of the situation is immediately a positive one. From that starting point, I can add how they became to be known as a Ghost Corn and the genetics behind them, if they seem interested or not. After they buy their Ghost Corn, they will tell people they have a wonderful new Corn Snake that is called a Ghost Corn. They will not remember at all that it is a Hypomelanistic Anerythristic A Corns Snake, unless I write it down for them. If they care to learn more about the genetics behind their Ghost Corn, the information is available everywhere. All they have to do is contact me, and I will introduce them to the Corn World if they want to be.

I can talk to people who have been in this hobby about snakes easier if I only used the Latin Names and genetic names for them, but I have to be speaking to someone with about the same understanding of the language as I do, or I have to step back a step or two. When I tell someone that the snake we are looking at is a campbelli or nelsoni, I know they immediately know everything there is to know about this snake. They have acquired the knowledge about the different subspecies of Milk Snakes and they know the variations in appearance and the origins of the subspecies we are talking about. I can not tell a new person that we are looking at a Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli. I tell them they are a Pueblan Milk Snake, which is the common name for them.

This is about the same thing as our trade names for our Corn Snakes. All Snakes have a Common Name and a scientific name. Trade names are just Common Names for the snakes that we have created, by combining certain genetic traits together. I do not think this is a new concept or something that will baffle the masses. Practically, every product that is sold has a Common/Trade name and scientific name or recipe. In the pet industry the same thing is true. Tropical Fish are a good example. They probably out number our Corns 100 to 1 and there is not any mass confusion or a break down of the Tropical Fish society on the horizon.

I like Trade Names and will always use them along with the genetic names. Some genetic names are used as Trade Names because there is nothing better. An Amel Corn is a Trade name that happens to be a genetic name too. I actually prefer Albino Corn myself, but I soon learned this was not acceptable here on this forum.

I will always use both Trade Names and genetic names. Our Hobby, will always used both, the scientific community will always use both, and now that I have written this I need a couple of Advil (Ibuprofen)

Old 01-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
Susan
The "Name Game" is a very interesting and fun aspect of this hobby, especially now that there are so many new morphs and combos in the making. The only problem I'm encountering is being able to link a new name with it's genetic make-up. It may get mentioned once or twice, but trying to read through a vast multitude of posts to locate it is turning into a royal pain! I work full-time, have a family to take care of, alot of my "spare" time is used up on my cornsnake hobby, and whatever time is left over (and when the hubby isn't on-line) is usually spent here. If I spend an hour researching a new morph name, I have no more time until the next day or two or three to read the rest of the forum. I usually end up picking and choosing threads as it is.

Therefore, I am making a formal request. PLEASE, for at least awhile, when talking about a new morph/name, include the genetics behind it. A perfect example is in this thread. I have NEVER heard the term "magma" used until now. Luckily, I was able to easily determine that it is a lava bloodred (diffuse lava? - isn't this FUN!). But guaranteed, I will forget it (actually had to scroll up to refresh my memory), so when one actually hatches out, I'll be a mushroom again!

Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Quigs
Quote:
I really don't mean to be a pain in the naming threads, but I think a lot of people are failing to look up ahead of things and see the oncoming train wreck.
This is precisely why we are playing the name game, to avoid more confusion in the furture! The REAL trainwreck IS foreseen!

Quote:
We have already learned that originally, jumping to the name "Bloodred", ended up being a big mistake and is still causing problems. Although I still stand that it causes less problems than changing the name all together. With that lessson learned, why are we continuing to make the same mistakes.
Bloodred is a perfectly fitting and well accepted name for those animals that exhibit bloodred colors! Little did they know until recently that the trait was also a pattern not just the color! That is precisely the reason we are in this mess now!

Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
Quigs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
I work full-time, have a family to take care of, alot of my "spare" time is used up on my cornsnake hobby, and whatever time is left over (and when the hubby isn't on-line) is usually spent here. If I spend an hour researching a new morph name, I have no more time until the next day or two or three to read the rest of the forum. I usually end up picking and choosing threads as it is.
I really don't mean to be rude here, but you are not the only one that has a full time job and/or school, a family and animals to take care of! Sorry I just can't condone an excuse such as this. You have priorities, as do we all, and that's fine but please don't blame that on the people that are trying to make things easier and less confusing in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
I have NEVER heard the term "magma" used until now.
Not surprising, many have never heard of this name. The morph doesn't exist yet, but is definately on the nearby horizon!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs
I really don't mean to be rude here, but you are not the only one that has a full time job and/or school, a family and animals to take care of! Sorry I just can't condone an excuse such as this. You have priorities, as do we all, and that's fine but please don't blame that on the people that are trying to make things easier and less confusing in the long run.
Jesh Quigs! All I asked for is that when someone uses a new name if they would also, for a short time, give a genetic definition using terms that are more familiar. I thought that would help make things easier and less confusing in the long run. I'm sorry if anyone took offense.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google