• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My snake is jumping/falling alot.

Forcedexile

Ok so recently my corn snake has discovered that there is a new place for him to explore. So in my viv there is a lip just below the screen top and the space between the lip and the screen top is just big enough for him to crawl around on however as he crawls back and forth on it he occasionally falls off and I've even seen him purposely jump off on a couple of occasions.

My question is if there is any danger for him from falling from a height of about 18" or so?

They all go through that phase! Make sure he has nice cushy aspen to land on. A bunch of plastic vines will distract him, too. Babies like to climb!

Mine gets up there too. My first escapee fell from the kitchen counter clear to the vinyl floor! I was glad he was ok. For my new vivs I'm getting lots of vines with leaves so they can climb thru them.

Agreed, vines. My snakes climb around and fall and/or jump all the time. Using cardboard hides helps, too.
Although, a parachute and a helmet would be much cuter.

agreed lol although i think he would have a hard time pulling the cord. lol. i'll have to pick up some vines for him then. Any suggestions for those? links would be nice.

Flukers ReptaVine is good, and ExoTerra plants and vines are pretty smooth and easy to clean, and both brands come in a variety of different leaf shapes.
You can get them at pretty much any good pet store.

I'm going to use the Flukers ReptaVine in my new vivs, b/c they come in pretty girl colors, lol! they are 6' long I think so if you have a smaller viv the ExoTerra would probably be better.

I don't even remember what kind of vines I have. But you can buy it packaged or there are big rolls of it at my pet shop and you can buy it by however many feet you want. They are 3 different sizes and bendable. I just used vines I got at the dollar store to wrap around them and make them look pretty. The snakes couldn't care one way or another. Just so long as they can climb lol.

I put one of the small or medium silk suction cup vines on each end. I take one of the bare brown bendy vines (the textured one, not the smooth one) and cut it in half for a ten gallon, leave it for a 20L, then bend it in half and twist, then take one of the six foot bendy leafy vines (Flukers, I think) and cut it in half for a ten gallon, and wrap it around the bare twisted vine. Then I form the whole thing into a serpentine shape going around the back of the viv, over the hides, etc.

The bare brown vines make the pretty Flukers stiff enough for a snake to be able to climb on, plus then you can lift the whole vine assembly out in one piece for cleaning or finding the snake or untangling the snake from the vine (my adults always want to bring the vine with when I take them out!!) and replace it easily.

If you go to the dollar store and get semi-attractive thin, sort of rinky-dink vines, you can make him a pretty sweet jungle hammock.
Just a thought :)

I use both lol. The expensive stuff for practical purposes, and cheap dollar store flowers for a little color.
Suit yourself, I'll just keep the makeshift hammock idea all to myself :)

Tell me about your hammock idea :)

HAHA! Okay, so I was thinking, because like ForcedExile, I too have a daredevil snake! But she's a weirdo and no matter how perfect her temps are she thinks she's arboreal, so I had an idea... What if I bought the regular, thick, brown bendy ReptaVine, and then a bunch of thin little disposable ones from the dollar store and wove them together??
So, logistically the way I think it would work best is if I took both Reptavines and put them parallel to eachother, crossing at both ends. Then, take one tiny vine, and, campsite style, sort of use it weave the ends together on the underside of the Reptavine in a tight figure eight pattern, gradually increasing the distance between the outside vines until it formed a decent sized "web". Then, once the bottom of the hammock is nicely woven, assuming it looks semi-decent, (in my head it looks like something straight out of Tarzan, but I also have delusions of grandeur lol), you could affix it maybe halfway up the tank, and voila! Fancy-schmancy jungle setup for the equally delusional corn snake!
Nothing is cuter than a baby corn who thinks they are a tree python, except maybe a baby corn who thinks it's a tree python sitting on a hammock. :D

Back