CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Separating Eggs?

Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
GitaBooks
Separating Eggs?

Has anyone else found that when they tried separating Corn Snake eggs it seemed to make them more likely to rot?
I had 25 or so eggs and only 4 weren't slugs, so I tried to separate the eggs out as the slugs smelled something terrible and got moldy and the mold was spreading to the good eggs.
However, when I separated a bad egg from one of my good eggs the spot where they had been separated started growing mold and it killed the whole egg. I was careful removing them, I don't think it tore or anything.
Was it just coincidence? Or does pulling them apart remove some sort of protective layer?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
Not sure what the right answer is but as a precaution, If rotting eggs don't pull off easily I leave them in place to lessen the chance of damaging the surrounding eggs. Or if the rotting egg is near the bottom of the clutch l cover it up with vermiculite.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
Rich Z
I believe the theory behind "benign neglect" in relation to plants also applies to snake eggs. The less you mess with them, the better it is for them.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Twolunger
I have a little different approach. Once the snake is finished laying I take all the slug eggs out and throw them away. Good eggs usually have a harder shell around them and slugs are usually rubbery, so I gently pull them away. If I can't easily pull the slug egg away I cut it away with a small cuticle scissor. If I have eggs that begin to mold I have had success by dusting the moldy spots with athlete's foot powder. Of course a dead embryo will result in a bad egg and there's nothing you can do about it if its stuck to good eggs and won't separate easily.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
GitaBooks
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, the last egg didn't make it. : (

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google