CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New member need some advise

Old 09-12-2017, 04:49 AM   #1
Millertime87
New member need some advise

Hello everyone, I needed a new hobby so corn snakes it is. I want to do a small scale breeding project and I don't know what morphs to pair to breed. I do currently have a super sunglow motley male and a tessera female. I want to have 2 breeding pairs. I am looking for suggestions for my next two buys an what pairing I should do.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Twolunger
That's a question only you can answer. My son had 20 anerys and tessera anerys but I preferred brightly colored morphs. I love orchids and peppermints, and have 1.5 lavenders for future breeding projects. If I wasn't working with a poor man's wallet I would have bought Palmettos already.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
DollysMom
Welcome to the forum, Millertime87. You may get some ideas by perusing the classifieds and other posts here. There are pictures of some beautiful snakes here if you do a little diggeing. Like Twolunger said, only you can make that decision. Best wishes on your projects.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Em.Mo.Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime87 View Post
Hello everyone, I needed a new hobby so corn snakes it is. I want to do a small scale breeding project and I don't know what morphs to pair to breed. I do currently have a super sunglow motley male and a tessera female. I want to have 2 breeding pairs. I am looking for suggestions for my next two buys an what pairing I should do.

There's another forum called iansvivarium.com and they have a ton of useful morph information that you might like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Em.Mo.Clark
Specifically, they even have a "morph calculator" of sorts to determine what morphs you might get from the details you input about the mother and father snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Millertime87
Ok thank you everyone for the information, I guess the moral of the story is I can breed anything I want. Like I said before I am new to the hobby and I didn't want to do any breeding mistakes, I breed chickens an there is some beeeds you just don't cross and I didn't want to make that kinda mistake with my corns. The second question is if inbreed the two together will I still get a few sunglow motley babies, cause I do know half will be tessera?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
nancyg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime87 View Post
Ok thank you everyone for the information, I guess the moral of the story is I can breed anything I want. Like I said before I am new to the hobby and I didn't want to do any breeding mistakes, I breed chickens an there is some beeeds you just don't cross and I didn't want to make that kinda mistake with my corns. The second question is if inbreed the two together will I still get a few sunglow motley babies, cause I do know half will be tessera?
If I understand you right, you want to know if you cross your sunglow motley with your tessera, Will you get some sunglow motley babies in addtition to the Tessera babies?

The answer is, 'If the Tessera female is also carrying the genes for sunglow motley (which is the recessive motley and recessive amel genes. You *may* get some sunglow motley babies.

Is your Tessera a 'normal colored' tessera, or is she also amel? Do you know if she is het for any genes?

Most of the cool color and pattern genes in cornsnakes are recessive genes - that means a snake has to have two of them for the trait to show. They have to inherit the same gene from both parents so both parents have to at least carry one of those genes.

Tessera is one of only a few dominant genes that exist in cornsnakes. This means that the snake only has to have one of those genes for the trait to show.

In addition, your Sunglow motley is also the result of Selective Breeding - This means that someone took Amel corn snakes... and bred them to reduce the white patches where the black pigment would normally be.. This is a result of lots of small nudges over generations of snakes to shift multiple genes which affect the pattern and reduce the black borders on the saddle pattern. The Motley gene also reduces the black pigment expression - so that may mean that it did not take too long to reach the 'Sunglow' effect.

So IF your tessera girl is carrying the Amel gene and the Motley gene, You may get some amel motley babies, though they may or may not be 'Sunglow' depending on how much Momsnake's pattern genes disrupt the Sunglow effect.

Now if Mom does not carry those genes, Breeding her and your sunglow is going to produce some normally patterned and colored babies as well as some normal colored tessera babies but ALL of those babies will be carrying the Amel and Motley genes from Dadsnake - they will be 'het' for those traits..

Now if you decided to keep a few of those babies (tesseras, perhaps?) and raised them, and then either breed them to each other, OR breed a female BACK to your Sunglow Motley. You can get all sorts of babies in a clutch, Amels, Amel Motleys, Amel Tesseras, Normals, normal colored Motleys, Tessera Motley, or even Amel Tessera Motleys!

How's that for fun?

NancyG

Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
Millertime87
*if I breed*

Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
MysticExotics
Pick what YOU like, not what you think others will like.

I chose to focus mainly on Miami's, (Miami Tessera's to be more specific). I am working towards refining them to what I want.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
Millertime87
Sounds like that will be a good looking snake. Change of subject but what rack system is everyone useing and what size tubs for the adult breeders is recommended???? I'm leaning towards Reptile basics brand. Thoughts????