CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New member need some advise

Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #11
Millertime87
NancyG

Well maybe fun for you but my tiny walnut is having quit the challenge absorbing all that info. According to the breeder the Teresa female is 66.6 het for scaleles and anery and the mama was a Miami phase. So no gene for motley. The rest are possible genes. I might just by a female sunglow motley so I can breed those two unless you can think of something better�� I'm thinking of looking for a buckskin oketee male to breed with my tessera if u know where I came find a nice neonite

Old 09-16-2017, 12:27 AM   #12
Twolunger
Regarding your question about rack systems, I have bought racks from Reptile Basics, Boaphile, and Dragons4you. All were well made and came with belly heat installed. Plug into your thermostat and go. I prefer the racks that Boaphile and Dragons4you make that can handle either Sterilite 1753 15 qt containers, or the 1755 32 qt containers. I raise my snakes in hatchling racks and transfer them to the 15 qt size until they are adults, then put them in the 32 qt size. My older Boaphile rack holds 18 of the 1753 or 9 of the 1755.

Having said that, I saw an inexpensive rack system on YouTube that is built from 2 sets of plastic shelves sold at Home Depot. I built the rack in 2 days, the first day I had to wait for glue to dry. The new rack holds 16 of the Sterilite 28 qt containers, but you can build it to accept any containers you want to use. Easy to build and gave me a lot of space for future adults. 40 qt containers fit in the same shelves, but have to be inserted from the side. Check it out on YouTube.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 AM   #13
Millertime87
I might go ahead an try that, it will be a while till all that happenes
Since all my breeders are babies still. I just a tad bit work it's about the inbreeding with all that but I do understand that's part of the process

Old 09-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
Millertime87
Twolunger
I looked at both those sites, def some good looking products. I also found a company called animal plastics and there economy racks are wayyyy cheaper and accommodate the 15qt an 32qt. Do you have any insite on those products? I don't want to buy a cheap pice of garbage but I also don't wanna blow my life savings on a rack system either lol

Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
DollysMom
Forgive me for jumping in. I know about Animal Plastics and they have a good reputation. I plan to buy from them when I need a big enclosure. I know they have options that are not always on their web site so call them and talk to them. I don't specifically know about their racks, however.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #16
Millertime87
No need to apologize this is a public foram, an I do appreciate any an all information I can get. Like I stated before I am a novice and want to learn as much as I can do I don't make any mistakes in this hobby since we are dealing with living creatures. But yes according to the wonderful world of YouTube I found so good info about animal plastics. I just like to hear up to date unbiased reviews on any product I buy, I don't like to buy things twice.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
DollysMom
I agree with educating yourself all you can. I'm that way too. I do want to caution you though, that you will make mistakes. All you can do is minimize mistakes and with the information you are gathering none of the mistakes should prove devastating.

Knowing I was someday going to need a large enclosure if I was able to get my eastern indigo snake, I talked to the Animal Plastics folks when I was at Tinley a year ago. They were very easy to talk to. I feel like I got real straight answers. So between all the good reviews, doing a lot of research, and talking to them, I'm looking forward to doing business with them in 1.5 to 2 years.

On a slightly different topic, if you don't have one already, the time to find a competent snake vet is before you need them. Talk to people in your area, especially any at a local herp society for recommendations. It often pays just to take one of your animals in for a general check up to get to know the vet and to establish yourself as a patient. Then when you really need them they will be there for you. I know that my vet that has a special emergency number that they only give out to patients. However they do have a referral to 24/7 clinic on their website for everyone.

I know that people with large numbers of animals can't take them all to the vet. I only have four and taking them for regular check ups gives me great peace of mind.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #18
Millertime87
Dollysmom
As always thanks for the info, I do believe my current vet does see retires I will ask next time I take the dog in. This forum does seem to have a lot of helpful people and are willing to take the time and give out information instead of chastising them for not knowing the basics. I think the economy rack is going to be the one. Is a 32 qt tube going to be big enough for my breeders? A 20 gallon fish tank seems to be the standard an it has 360 sq inches of floor space a 32 qt tube has 391 sq inches, so this is bigger so should be good?

Old 09-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #19
DollysMom
I'm glad you have a vet on hand. I believe 32 qt should be fine, but I'm not a breeder so I hope a breeder to two chimes in with their recommendations and experience. Best wishes and yes, I've found this to be a very supportive place.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #20
Twolunger
I currently have an Animal Plastics rack, and you won't find one heck of a lot of difference between the racks made by the reputable companies. I think AP shipped their rack to me unassembled, but it wasn't a problem building it. When you talk about container sizes for adults, there's a big difference between snakes. The young adults up to 4 feet seem comfortable in a 32 quart container, but larger than that I would want the 40 quart size. I have a dozen 3 year olds I call adults that are kept in 28 quart containers, but eventually I will house them in 40 quart sizes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google