• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Non-gravid, 7-year-old female refusing food

JennaJ

I know it is really a bit to early to worry too much, but I need some reassurance. I read through some FAQs and searched some threads and I know males routinely go off food in Spring and that females may also at times, but this year is the first time she has EVER turned down a meal. The details:

- Turned down food last month, but accepted meal the next day (MAY 15th). She was home until she defecated...
- After this last feeding, came to work with me one day for a visit (I work at a vet hospital) on MAY 22nd. We took x-rays for a vet's career day presentation and she was handled a bit, but nothing excessive. She spent most of the day in her carrier.
- 8 days after this outing, attempted feeding (MAY 30th) and she refused. I then tried 2 days later (JUNE 1st) and then 3 days after that (JUNE 4). All three times she refused.
-She is very active and moving a bit quicker than usual when she is out, and either seems to ignore the mouse or even look like she is "put off" by it.

It just scares me because I've had her since she was a hatchling, and in all her 7 years she has been such a good eater!
She has a temperature gradient from an under-tank heater set to 85 degrees, and has a hide on each side of her 40 gal. long tank. It has been a while since she has shed (about 4 months), but shedding has never stopped her from eating in the past.
She looks and feels healthy from what I can tell. I have been bad and have not been weighing her very often, but if anything she is a touch on the chunkier side.

I will wait a bit longer before trying again. As I write this it has been exactly 3 weeks since her last meal. She usually is fed every ~2 weeks.
Any advice for a neurotic snake mama?

Back