CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

First ever breeding attempt!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Wyldrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyion View Post
Yes, I would love breeding snakes- my issue is that I would only want a few eggs in the clutch. Anyone know of a snake that sells well but doesn't produce many eggs?
Ball pythons, not the normals but some of the high end morphs(pieds, pewters, super bees), be prepaird to spend $500+ a snake though. They rarely have more then 10 eggs a clutch.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
Lyion
Thanks ^^ Perhaps I should make another thread for this? Anything in the boas?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
taxman123
Breeding snakes is alot of work and can cost quite a bit of money. If you breed your male to 2 females and you at the least get 15 eggs each and they all hatch now you have to buy 30 deli cups, 30 pinkies, Not all are going to eat and u might have to force feed or split brain the pinkies then you have to have a place to keep them warm and getting rid of baby corn snakes can take awhile. Its only my 3rd year breeding but if i didnt have deals setup with a few petstores I would still be stuck with a bunch of 2011 babies Good Luck, breeding is awesome and a great experience but it can be overwhelming take care.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
AliCat37
I would steer clear of ball pythons if I were you. Babies are SO DIFFICULT to get eating. Boas have live babies.. and lots of them.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
SteelJawEmily
Thanks for all the tips everyone! I appreciate them. I know what I'm getting myself into....I always do research before I delve into something like this, and am fully aware of most all outcomes. I find the good outweighs the bad in this case.

Good luck Lyion with your own breeding attempts!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
cornbreadandmilk
oooo ooo i have a tip when you get ready to sell them take them to your pet store sometimes they will buy them. pet-depot here will either buy or display my stuff for free there pretty cool about it.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
bitsy
Just make sure that you trust the store - don't sell to anywhere you wouldn't buy from.

Also, be aware that they'll give you a much lower price than you'd get by selling hatchlings direct.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
SquamishSerpents
Good luck on your first breeding attempt, there's lots of good advice in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
I would steer clear of ball pythons if I were you. Babies are SO DIFFICULT to get eating. Boas have live babies.. and lots of them.
I have to disagree with this. Ball Pythons are really not as bad of eaters as everybody makes them out to be. I've only encountered 1 baby that took a bit to get going with eating, and she's massive now. I've had corns go longer without eating than our ball hatchlings.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
SteelJawEmily
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
oooo ooo i have a tip when you get ready to sell them take them to your pet store sometimes they will buy them. pet-depot here will either buy or display my stuff for free there pretty cool about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
Just make sure that you trust the store - don't sell to anywhere you wouldn't buy from.

Also, be aware that they'll give you a much lower price than you'd get by selling hatchlings direct.
Yea, unfortunately I don't think PetSmart would let me sell to them....because we're a cooperation. But there is a store in Yakima that said they could take babies, and I worked there for a year and they do a wonderful job.

With all of my babies, I'm going to make sure they have at least 2 meals and a shed before I give them up.

Also, how do I go about getting certified to ship? Is it hard? Does it cost money?

Old 02-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #20
SteelJawEmily
Girlfriend number two!

She is still coming out of Brumation so I think I'll wait to breed her to Donatello until Saraphine shows signs of shedding....that way he gets a break. lol

I think I'm going to call her Jean Grey....but that is still pending. I like naming after movie characters for some reason. lol

I have always loved Anerys and she is a fine example of one...really dark coloration with that striking yellow....I'm glad I found her!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google