• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sexing & Tail Length (Photos)

Joejr14 said:
How old is the snake? How big?

I was told the female was four years old. And this animal is a decent length. (At least three feet long.) I didn't bother to weigh the animal yet, but I did notice that it would probably appreciate an extra meal or two.

Chris

CJBianco said:
I was told the female was four years old. And this animal is a decent length. (At least three feet long.) I didn't bother to weigh the animal yet, but I did notice that it would probably appreciate an extra meal or two.

Chris

It's definitely a tweener. It doesn't jump off the page as being male, but it's not what a typical female looks like, either.

Again, for comparison, here's a female.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 166
Here's the best shot of the vent/tail area. (I tried to mimic Joe's photos.)

(And now I think: male. Again. LOL)

Chris

Attachments

• ghostcuvent.jpg
    ghostcuvent.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 164
Still a tweener, but from that picture I say female. My 2003 amel has a tail that looks very similar to that.

Thanks.

I have absolutely no clue what to REALLY look for. (I've just heard that females start tapering immediately after the vent. And apparently that's negotiable. LOL) So when I say "MALE" it's only a coin flip. =)

I sure do hope this is a female. I'd hate to go through all the trouble (and money) of a shipping exchange. =/

Keeping my fingers cross'd...

Chris

CJBianco said:
Thanks.

I have absolutely no clue what to REALLY look for. (I've just heard that females start tapering immediately after the vent. And apparently that's negotiable. LOL) So when I say "MALE" it's only a coin flip. =)

I sure do hope this is a female. I'd hate to go through all the trouble (and money) of a shipping exchange. =/

Keeping my fingers cross'd...

Chris

If it's a mixup, then you shouldn't have to pay anything. I'd expect the seller to pay for shipping both ways since it was his error. You certainly didn't do anything wrong---no reason for you to be out any extra money.

The more I look at it, the more it looks female. I agree with Hurley, have her probed.

Oh! I thought to have the animal probed as soon as I noticed the problem. It may be a while, though.

(I own two sets of probes, have studied the procedure, and have even seen it done once or twice. I've just never found the courage to try it myself. I don't want to accidentally probe too far. I've heard it happens sometimes. And I don't want to hurt the animal. So I have to wait until I can find someone to do it for me. I'm such a coward!)

I was just searching for a little hope to tide me over. =)

Chris

Okay....that's it! I'll probe it for you!!!
And then all will know....
By pics.....hmmmm.....could go either way.

Or you could stand beside me and talk me through it. (And then double check. Just in case.) That would be cool.

And just so I don't accidentally hurt my only Ghost breeder, maybe I could practice on a few of your Rattlesnakes first. Or that Albino cobra. Sound good?

Thanks for the offer. I look forward to it. =)

Chris

Is this the snake you were talking about???
See...holding the tail is no problem. ;)

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_2810.JPG
    Copy of IMG_2810.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 150
That's the one!

Although it may be easier for me to get into probing position if I held the snake instead of just sitting it on the table. (Maybe drape the snake around my neck.) Who knows? Whatever. We can try it both ways.

Chris

Even though you have someone close to probe for you now, one method that is rarely mentioned but I personally think is pretty darn accurate is the ventral scale count. It's a viable option for those that don't have access to someone that can probe, nor feels comfortable doing it themselves. To have the easiest time of it you do need to wait for a complete shed as most snakes don't want to sit still long enough, upside down, for you to count . . . :)

You count the ventral scales from the chin to the vent, then the scales from the vent to the tail tip. Subtract the tail count from the chin to vent count. If the difference is greater than 154, it's more likely a female. Less than 154, more likely a male. Of course the closer to 154 either way, the greater the chance of it being inaccurate. FWIW, of the 40+ corns I have counted in my collection there's only been 2 that didn't 'count' right. (One is a snake which I received second hand that has a stubby tail from incomplete sheddings prior to me owning him.) Lastly, the tail scales are 'split' in pairs, side by side, and you count each pair as one.

From the pictures, I would also 'guess' female.

D80

Back