• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to Make a Simple Reptile Incubator

Marshall_P

How to Make a Simple Reptile Incubator

Step-by-Step Process on Creating a Simple and Cheap Reptile Incubator

If you have a clutch of reptile eggs about to emerge, your need for an incubator is immediate. Most chicken egg incubators will not work, because they run to hot. Reptile incubators tend to be expensive, and aren't economical if you have more than one clutch to incubate.

Making a reptile incubator is very simple, and gives you the freedom to make it as hot as you'd like. The
cost of making your own reptile egg incubator will vary, depending on the supplies you already own. Nevertheless, the cost will still be less than that of a commercial reptile incubator.

Materials needed:

A full-submersion aquarium heater [$12-$15]

A 10 gallon aquarium [$10]

1 sweater box [$5]

Vermicule [$5]

2 bricks [couple dollars each]

1 thermometer/hygrometer [$5]

Total: approx. $40

After you have obtained the above materials, follow these simple steps:

Step 1: Place the two bricks into the aquarium, so that they will serve as two supports elevating the sweater box.

Step 2: Fill the bottom of the tank with water, so that there is approx. a ½ to ¼ inch of the brick not covered.

Step 3: Place the full-submersion aquarium heater completely under the water. Be sure that the heater is meant to be fully submerged! If you not, you will electrocute yourself.

Step 4: Place the sweater box on the bricks above the water. Fill with moist vermiculite. Be sure that it is not wet! It should be damp, but not wet.

Place the thermometer in a visible area inside the sweater box. Drill/punch a few holes in the lid of the sweater box. This is important, so that the eggs get adequate air.

Place the eggs inside the sweater box, and place the lid on. Only secure one side of the lid. Let the other side of the lid rest on the lip without snapping down. This is so that if some condensation collections on the inside of the lid, it won't drip on the eggs - instead, it will run down the slight incline and drip on empty bedding.

Step 5: Finally, place either foil, cellophane, or a piece of glass over the top of the aquarium. Punch a few holes into it, or leave a slight crack at the edge, to allow moisture to escape.

Source = http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/254463/how_to_make_a_simple_reptile_incubator.html

+ Rep for this, nice post. I like that it's a very easy and cost efficient way of incubating a few clutches of eggs. Good for small timers in their first few seasons. ;)

You can also get a large cooler and a UTH with a rheostat and do the same thing without the mess of water.

The water seems to work as a buffer to keep the temperature more constant without any spikes. Seems to add a bit of a safety margin.

I made the cooler type incubator with an old used zoomed thermostat and UTH in the bottom, and put several sealed plastic water bottles on top of the uth. Above the bottles is a wire mesh shelf to hold the egg boxes.

I ran that all last season, though with no eggs, and it kept the temp at within 1 degree of 83 the whole time.

I'm Tryin' it myself..

I'm by no means a breeder, only usually getting 1 clutch a year myself. I'm going to give it a try though, perhaps i'll have a more positive hatch rate. After looking at the list, the only thing I don't have is the "sweater box". All of the other things I do have so it won't be hard to put together, I even have the tank heater in storage in my basement..

I did this, except using an old cooler. Everything else (water included) is the same. So far, temps are very steady, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Now if only I had eggs for the dang thing...

Here is a picture.....

3-23-08.jpg

I used different rocks and a heatpad on the bottom...but it's the same idea :)

Great Job!..

Wow, that looks awesome, let us know how it's working for ya!.. I'll be makin' mine in a few weeks when my female lays...

Thanks!
Works super great! All I have to do is add water to the bottom every few days and check on the eggs :) The temp says within 1 degree.

I've used almost the exact same set up to hatch a couple clutches of bearded dragons and some leopard geckos, awsome hatch rate! It may not be pretty but it works.

Last year I used a syrofoam cooler....and had to keep checking it all the time...and had one egg not hatch :(

This incub. is working awsome. The temp and humidity are always the same.

It's great! :)

Whoo-hoo! Finally , Eggs!...

Well, finally after a few weeks of waiting she finally laid, the first pic is my rendition of this incubator, & also the Eggs! Enjoy..

Attachments

• SSPX0128.JPG
    SSPX0128.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 181
  • SSPX0126.JPG
    SSPX0126.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 181
  • SSPX0127.JPG
    SSPX0127.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 181
I am currently using a polystyrene box, a heat mat and a pulse perjwhagdceadsjfhsomethingandanother theromostat with a digital thermomiter, was used by the lady that bred my sisters corn and two of my beardies

Reptile incubators tend to be expensive, and aren't economical if you have more than one clutch to incubate.

How exactly are reptile incubators not economical when you have more then one clutch to incubate? I can fit at least 100 cornsnake clutches in my one incubator and it only takes up the space of one of my 15/32qt racks. :laugh01:

You can also get a large cooler and a UTH with a rheostat and do the same thing without the mess of water.
That's what I moved to last year, and it worked great last year. I still had some mold/fungus, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as when I used the wetter method previous years.

I think the cooler (100 Qt.??) was on sale for $69.99 last year (reg. $99?). Simple strip of 4" flexwatt (I had a UTH on the bottom last year) keeps the temps within a degree from top to bottom . . . there's a computer fan to circulate the air that you can't see in the pic.

D80

Here's a recent pic:
IncCooler.jpg

IncCoolerIn2.jpg

Well, seeing as Brent posted his, I thought I'd share pics of one of mine :)

The second pic shows where I cut out little windows in the front, which I then cover on the inside with a piece of clear plastic. I place the thermometer/hygrometer in the incubator, then I can shine a torch through the window to view the reading on the thermometer, without having to open the lid :) The thermometer and thermostat probes go in one of the incubation boxes as close to the middle as possible. This has worked for three years and still going strong :)

I can fit 3 to 6 clutches in there, depending on size of clutch and size of container, and I have two set up at the moment, as we also have Leopard gecko eggs incubating :)

Total cost approx £45

Attachments

• Forum Incubator 001.jpg
    Forum Incubator 001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Forum Incubator 002.jpg
    Forum Incubator 002.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Forum Incubator 003.jpg
    Forum Incubator 003.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Forum Incubator 004.jpg