CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

How to stop corn from being overly flighty?

Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
PsychedelicSerpent
How to stop corn from being overly flighty?

Aloha everyone, I am brand new to the forum and this is my first. I thought I would make an account as I have a few questions about my Corn Snake, Ellie. She has been a great snake so far, doesnt bite, my only issue with her is that she is incredibly flighty during handling? I have seen videos online of others handling their corns and they are nowhere near as energetic or flighty as my Ellie is. I handle her 1-2 times a week, always at least 48 hours after feeding.

So, any advice for me? Im stumped here guys, any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Twolunger
You didn't mention how old she is or how long you have had her. My young corns are as different as night and day. Some are easily handled and just seem curious, others are constantly on the move and quick in their actions. But my adults are all quite mild and just seem to enjoy being handled.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
You stated, 1 to 2 times per week handling?

I handle mine probably 4 or 5 times weekly, (almost every day) except for right after feeding which is currently every 10th day.

When "handling" what do you do? Sit there and hold the snake? You did not specify. I take him out of the cage, place him around my neck, clean out his water bowl and add fresh water, (he gets to watch and help). Today we went to the park together, and he climbed on the fence posts, crawled on the ground, got to pose for pictures from "Curious Onlookers." etc....

In other words, I don't just take him out of his cage, hold him a minute or two and put him back.

When I handle Rufus, it's more like an hour or so at a time. He's quite used to spending time with me and seems to enjoy it. I even ride down the street with him around my neck and he does just fine.

Having said all this, let me now tell you, He is 4 years old and I have had him since he was about 6 months old. He was quite "Flighty" (as you've stated) way back then, and was nowhere near long enough to wrap around my neck.

The answer is: It takes time, lots of time, and lots of handling. The more the better.

You did not state if your snake is a baby or an adult. There are pros and cons to both.

If your snake is a baby, it's perfectly normal for them to be nervous, shy, scared and flighty. He may grow out of it with lots of handling like my snake did.

On the other hand, if your snake is full grown and still this way, You know the old saying, "It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick." Some snakes that grow to adulthood without proper handling and that are abused or neglected, may never become the "Lap Dog" you'd like them to be.

I'm including a short video clip (link below) of me and my snake goofing around one morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_6b...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
PsychedelicSerpent
I actually dont know how old she is as she is a rescue, I believe she is around 2 years old, I have had her for about 5 months. As for the second posters question, when I take her out I usually handle her in my hands if its night time. Sometimes I will take her out in the daytime and bring her outside and let her cruise around the lawn and climb the trees, and she does quite well. Its just when im holding her in my hands that it seems she is constantly trying to get away from me. Sorry, I should have included this info in my original post, still new to the forum game. I do really appreciate your replies! Thanks so much, im going to keep handling Ellie as much as possible and continue to give her lots of love and excersise while keeping your tips in mind.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
PsychedelicSerpent
Awesome video by the way Karl! Looks like you have one happy noodle there ☺ I also noticed you are a bass player, right on man, I play bass as well. Was that a Fendjer J bass you were playing? Thanks again for the info.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychedelicSerpent View Post
Awesome video by the way Karl! Looks like you have one happy noodle there ☺ I also noticed you are a bass player, right on man, I play bass as well. Was that a Fendjer J bass you were playing? Thanks again for the info.
I do have a Fender J, as well as several Ibanez Basses. I play in a blues/rock band. LOL, not really corn snake related but if the Moderators don't mind, here is a link to one of my Music Channels. I'm playing on every song.

https://soundcloud.com/karl-the-bass-player

Old 06-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychedelicSerpent View Post
I actually dont know how old she is as she is a rescue, I believe she is around 2 years old, I have had her for about 5 months. As for the second posters question, when I take her out I usually handle her in my hands if its night time. Sometimes I will take her out in the daytime and bring her outside and let her cruise around the lawn and climb the trees, and she does quite well. Its just when im holding her in my hands that it seems she is constantly trying to get away from me. Sorry, I should have included this info in my original post, still new to the forum game. I do really appreciate your replies! Thanks so much, im going to keep handling Ellie as much as possible and continue to give her lots of love and excersise while keeping your tips in mind.
My son gave me several corns that were subadult and a few older ones. They were all raised in rack containers and never handled, except when moved to a clean container. It's surprising that only one was flighty out of the whole bunch. She was what I call being in the "flee" mode, always seemed to want to get away. I'd hold one hand in front of the other and she would quickly get on that hand. I'd repeat it for at least half an hour before she decided she was getting nowhere, and calmed down. It took a while but now she is as calm and curious as all the others.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Corning
I’ve read other people on here telling people to wash their hands so you always fave the same soap sent and get used to you with repetition. Every day around the same time take him out for 15 minutes to an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
NameWasUsed
If anything this thread rebuilt my confidence. I was sure it had to do with personality, but my snake just prefers to be alone and I was afraid it was poor care on my part. I know it's just a preference to be alone, because she out right hates my mom, so she has the ability to be aggressive when she wants to.

But she either outstretches to leave her cage the second I open it, or she jets to the aspen once escape is out of the question.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake