CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Noobie Mistakes/ Remedies

Old 11-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Jiboia-Arco-Íris
Unhappy Noobie Mistakes/ Remedies

Hello!
Today I had quite the scare while handling. I saw that my corn was out and about in her cage and decided to take her out. She was more flighty than usual and I noticed, so I sat down and continued handling there. Without warning, she rushed out of my hands and onto the floor to my surprise. Now I know the fall wasn't too high, but she's about 5 months old now and pretty tiny. I picked her up and she was grasping onto my hands and her poor heart was palpitating. I handled her some more until she calmed down and placed her back in her cage. I noticed a bluish mark under her neck/stomach area and I am now worried.

I hear that when handling you need to allow the snake to "tread" over your hands without grasping the body and the guiding needs to be rather subtle. I've heard that you need to be confident with your movements as well so I've been trying my best to follow these instructions.

I've been holding her 2-3 times per week (5 minutes of handling usually) with 48 hours leaving her alone after she eats but I've heard different people say that you should only hold them once a week to others saying to hold them nearly every day.

As a new owner I've very confused as well as concerned, since dropping the snake is the one thing everyone agrees not to do!

How can I get her back to being less flighty like she used to be and how can I tell if she's injured or not?

Thanks so much!!

Old 11-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
chris68
Just keep an eye on her, there's not too much that can be done. They are pretty resilient, unless you hurled her forcefully to the ground she should be fine. Calm, confident and continued handling is the key. I'd say handle her as much as you'd like. I handle all the babies that hatch out here as much as possible once they are established feeders, even if it's just a few minutes to say "How ya doin'?'"

Old 11-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Jiboia-Arco-Íris
Alright, thank you so much!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
handling, injury